cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

now after all my efforts, this is a NEW ONE?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

now after all my efforts, this is a NEW ONE?

maybe you guys know.  I recently checked my ficos for the 1st time and found that I had indeed had unauthorized use of my credit in the late nineties.  before the internet, when all bills were paper, I had a downstairs neighbor intercepting my mail and charging things... I am still paying for his verizon cell phone btw.  now here's the thing, my scores were in the mid 550s.  I paid down all my CC balances, got some of the incorrect stuff off of SOME of the agencies, (some are easier to work with than others) and got my score up to mid 600s.  So, pleased with myself, I applied for a new CC, hoping to see the results of all my hard work.  it was an ONLINE app that asked me some questions of cars I had owned and installment agreements I had opened.  But HERES THE THING.... only ONE of the questions related to me.  THREE OF THEM did not.  Usually the ratio for ID confirmation is reversed, no?  I continue the app, and lo and behold, I was denied credit, NOT because of my credit score, but because they could not confirm my identitiy.  WHAT THE HECK IS THAT?  I purchased "score watch" from this site and its monitoring my EQUIFAX score, so I know that these installment agreements aren't part of my credit history,now or from before.  so whats up?  does anyone know what just happened here?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Re: now after all my efforts, this is a NEW ONE?

What company did you apply through? Have you tried calling them directly to see if you can perhaps fax them a paystuf, copy of a DL, and SS card.
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

newbie5 wrote:
maybe you guys know.  I recently checked my ficos for the 1st time and found that I had indeed had unauthorized use of my credit in the late nineties.  before the internet, when all bills were paper, I had a downstairs neighbor intercepting my mail and charging things... I am still paying for his verizon cell phone btw.  now here's the thing, my scores were in the mid 550s.  I paid down all my CC balances, got some of the incorrect stuff off of SOME of the agencies, (some are easier to work with than others) and got my score up to mid 600s.  So, pleased with myself, I applied for a new CC, hoping to see the results of all my hard work.  it was an ONLINE app that asked me some questions of cars I had owned and installment agreements I had opened.  But HERES THE THING.... only ONE of the questions related to me.  THREE OF THEM did not.  Usually the ratio for ID confirmation is reversed, no?  I continue the app, and lo and behold, I was denied credit, NOT because of my credit score, but because they could not confirm my identitiy.  WHAT THE HECK IS THAT?  I purchased "score watch" from this site and its monitoring my EQUIFAX score, so I know that these installment agreements aren't part of my credit history,now or from before.  so whats up?  does anyone know what just happened here?

I would call the 800 number to the cc you applied for and if need be explain about the neighbor. Ask if you can fax them current copies of your DL, SS card and utility bill in your name for proof of identity.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

They pull random things from your CR, to verify your identity against others.  Maybe they didn't have enough definite info, ask for recon.  Esp since you app'd online, they consider that risky bc it doesn't require interaction.  For your own protection of course!! When I first disputed things in a batch on my CR, they "kindly" added a security alret to all three files without my requesting it, so I had to call and verify anything I tried to do online to confirm my identity.  Yeah, thanks for that...Smiley Indifferent
Message 4 of 5
ShinyGirl
New Contributor

I say call them and do the app on the phone or get the fax number and fax in your verifying info.

I have conflicting addresses on my CR. Ex keeps an address that is 8 years old on my report. It lists my current employer as my former employer and my current address as my former address. No matter how many times I change it online, etc, they don't change it. It really causes me a headache.

Recently, when I applied with CapOne, they sent me THREE letters regarding my address because all three bureaus showed something completely or at least a little different.

With a couple of recent credit cards that I've rec'd in the last couple of years, I also had to fax in a bill stub and my SS card.

At least, though it's a hassle for me, it gives me a little assurance that they are trying to verify it's me.
"...what good do your words do if they can't understand you??...."
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.