Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

? on Asset

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

? on Asset

My wife got a cell phone in my name.She signed the contract not I.The first months bill was wrong.The next three bills where wrong and I got tired of calling to try to get the bill strighting out.I told them I didn't want there serivce anymore and I sent the phones back in.I have the contract,all bills and the a paper where they recieved the phones back.The alltel cell company didn't clear me and sold to Asset.This was back in 2001.Now I am taken charge of my credit.I sent a dv with Texas finance code and I get back their copy with the bal.owed.Since my wife signed the contract am I responable for the debt?Or can I send in a copy of the contract and they will delete?Its on my report and I didn't sign the contract  at all.I tryed to call them and they keep telling to send in proof it not mine.Would this work?I really need some insight.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ? on Asset

You could but your wife might end up in deep doo-doo... and I am assuming she did have your permission.

2001 +7 = 2008  --- it will be off sometime this year or into 2009 (dont have the date - if you have DOFD/DOLA let us know).  If past SOL then I personally would just wait it out

Send a DV to them
Message 2 of 3
Dawn
Established Contributor

Re: ? on Asset

Lady_Scarlet wrote:
You could but your wife might end up in deep doo-doo... and I am assuming she did have your permission.
Wouldn't it be nice if service providers would be more pro-active when setting up new accounts and not allow someone to set up an account in another's name?  It would solve a lot of problems further down the road. (DD's boyfriend's mother did establish accounts in his name without his permission ... and he ended up being responsible for cleaning up the mess because he didn't want to cause problems with his mother.) Smiley Sad

I recently was allowed to set up cable service (by phone) in DH's name (since cancelled.)  We went down that path because the prior service provider's account was in his name.  Because I had all the necessary information to answer their questions when they ran the credit check, they allowed this to go through. 

When I expressed my dismay that they allowed me to do this (and suggested that they start over and use my  name,) they were totally unconcerned and said that if I hadn't had all the pertinent information, they wouldn't have done it.  YIKES!!!  It's scary what someone (even spouse's) can do in someone else's name.  I had to hound them about providing me a final statement showing a zero balance after I turned the equipment in.  I didn't want this coming back to haunt (him) us later on down the line.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.