cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

owe SBC money but they arent in biz anymore do I actually owe them?

tag
serenity72
New Contributor

owe SBC money but they arent in biz anymore do I actually owe them?

Being that they are no longer around and where bought out by At&T do I still owe them? Asset acceptance is collecting on this account. Wondering if I can dispute this just for the fact they arent around anymore. TY
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: owe SBC money but they arent in biz anymore do I actually owe them?

Actually SBC bought ATT and then changed their name to ATT the name with more world recognition.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message Edited by masdeocho on 07-11-2007 03:25 PM
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

when a company acquires another company, the debt also gets acquired. So, if ATT bought SBC, and you owed to SBC, you just now owe to ATT. Same company, different name pretty much.
Message 4 of 8
serenity72
New Contributor

Thanks so that means AT and T should have my account information then correct? What if another company totally went out of bussiness? I have one of these on my CR as well so would I owe them if they are no longer around period? TY
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

are they on your credit report? and are they after you for the money?
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Irvin wrote:
when a company acquires another company, the debt also gets acquired. So, if ATT bought SBC, and you owed to SBC, you just now owe to ATT. Same company, different name pretty much.

The debt doesn't always get acquired.  They might have sold it to Asset before or after the corporate merger/acquisition. 
Message 7 of 8
serenity72
New Contributor

Its on my report under Asset Acceptance. Its not that big of a deal for SBC anyways as it will be off my report next year. Just trying to make some sense of some things.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.