Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paid off CA still accessing my CR

tag
momof2
Frequent Contributor

paid off CA still accessing my CR

I had a collection with cingular, with the CA last year I paid it off, yet i am still finding credit inq by the CA. Is this legal for them to do? If not what action can I take?
FICO2/10=EQ= 564

FICO2/10=6012/10-FACO TU 578;3/10=643
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: paid off CA still accessing my CR

1) if you have proof you paid off the account via this CA (meaning you sent payments to them)
and
2) you don't have other accounts that they might be contracted to collect on,

Then this is NOT PERMISSABLE.

If you find this to be the case, I suggest you send them a letter asking them why they are accessing your account and what their permissible purpose is (CMRRR).

They will fallback on 'error' so you likely would not have a strong case for a legal remedy, but you could file suit against them none-the-less. 

Again, this presumes you paid the account through them, received some sort of confirmation from them that it was PIF, and they aren't being contracted to collect for another OC.

btw, see my other post on reversesettlement.com.  I am using them for a similar issue regarding non-PP issue.
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they are doing hard pulls  they do not have PP    send this letter  CMRRR

Non-PP Puller Company
Address
City State Zip Code

To Whom It May Concern:

I have noticed that you have placed an inquiry on my _________ credit file dated ________. As you probably know, Credit Reporting Agencies treat inquiries as a statement of fact and will not allow a consumer to dispute them. Since it is against federal law (Fair Credit Reporting Act -- 15 USC § 1681n(a)(1)(B) for an entity to view a consumer’s credit report without a "permissible purpose," I am writing to inquire as to your alleged purpose for doing so since I did not apply for employment with your organization nor did I request credit from your organization.

[Describe any additional details about the inquiry here if need be. For example, your a subscriber to XXXX monitoring service and XXXX company pulled a "hard inquiry" on one of your reports.]

Based on the evidence in my possession, this inquiry was performed under false pretenses as described in the clear language of the law. 15 USC §1681n(a)(1)(B ) states, in part, "in the case of liability of a natural person for obtaining a consumer report under false pretenses or knowingly without a permissible purpose, actual damages sustained by the consumer as a result of the failure or $1,000, whichever is greater;"

You are civilly liable to me in the amount of $1,000.00 for your willful violation of the law -- performing a "hard inquiry" on my __________ file without my permission. I do hope that we can settle this matter amicably. You can remove the inquiry within one (1) business day of the receipt of this notice. Or, we can meet in court where you will end up removing the inquiry, paying me the civil liability fine, punitive damages for my score drop, plus court and attorney fees. The choice is up to you.
Please contact me immediately at the address listed below.

Sincerely,
TYPE YOUR NAME  DO NOT SIGN!
Consumer
Address
City State Zip Code
Message 3 of 15
momof2
Frequent Contributor

what is the difference between a hard pull inq and a regular inq?
FICO2/10=EQ= 564

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

hard is a reg pull !!!!  soft pulls are for reviews and promotions

Message Edited by HappyDays on 03-24-2008 05:03 PM
Message 5 of 15
momof2
Frequent Contributor

I have paid off the account and have proof of it. also the credit inq says under the comments sections on credit inq's
permissible purpose.This inq is scheduled to continue on record til april 2009.
  what does this mean, i didnt give them permission to access my credit report. should I still send them a letter, they pulled my credit file twice without permission.
FICO2/10=EQ= 564

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

With it being Cingular, double check that it is not a promotional inquiry showing.

There is different classifications of inquiries.

Look at your credit report, above each list of inquiries it will tell the type.

Hard inquiries are viewable by your creditors and affect your score.

Soft and promotional inquries do not affect score, and in most cases are not viewed by anyone but yourself.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

momof2 wrote:
I have paid off the account and have proof of it. also the credit inq says under the comments sections on credit inq's
permissible purpose.This inq is scheduled to continue on record til april 2009.
  what does this mean, i didnt give them permission to access my credit report. should I still send them a letter, they pulled my credit file twice without permission.

Means the inquiry was done in April 2007.......was it paid at that time?
Message 8 of 15
momof2
Frequent Contributor

I looked at it again and it was viewed as a inq, it is affecting my credit score, it is not listed under a soft inq. so do i send them a letter?
FICO2/10=EQ= 564

Message 9 of 15
momof2
Frequent Contributor

the inq was pulled 3/26/07, i paid the account in may of2007
FICO2/10=EQ= 564

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.