Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pay off debt or use for 1st time homebuyer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

pay off debt or use for 1st time homebuyer

I am about to get  5k - 7K in bonuses and I am unsure if I should pay off debt or use this money as a downpayment for a fist time home.  Would the answer depend on my credit score?  It's between 650 - 700.  total debt is around 8K with a car loan of 13K and school loan of 4K on top.  Please help.  Thanks

PS- I have a 401 w/2K and a savings account with 1K.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: pay off debt or use for 1st time homebuyer

jillcmcauliffe wrote:
I am about to get  5k - 7K in bonuses and I am unsure if I should pay off debt or use this money as a downpayment for a fist time home.  Would the answer depend on my credit score?  It's between 650 - 700.  total debt is around 8K with a car loan of 13K and school loan of 4K on top.  Please help.  Thanks

PS- I have a 401 w/2K and a savings account with 1K.

If it were me (which it isn't) ... I'd pay the $8k debt, assuming that it is credit card debt with a higher interest rate than the interest rate on the car loan and the interest rate on the school loan.  Otherwise, that debt is just costing you money and keeping your score down, depending on your utilization ratios.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.