cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paying a collection account in full--question...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

paying a collection account in full--question...

So Ive paid off a medical bill. The only open collection I had on my CR. From experience would this increase my CS or would it still have that impact because it was recent? I know in time the impact would be less but just wondering those who have had similar what your experiences were.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: paying a collection account in full--question...

Paying does not negate the fact of the collection, which remains as a major derog.

Paying ceases updated reporting showing that the debt remains unpaid, which then permits the effect of the collection to age.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So pretty much suck it up and wait 7 years...
Message 3 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
So pretty much suck it up and wait 7 years...

FICO 9 discounts paid collections; as does VS 3.0 (not that widely used); likely won't have to suck it up for 7 years as I would expect non-trivial adoption of FICO 9 for credit cards at least within another 3; however, mortgages are still on the old standard and yeah, stuck unless you can get it off though.

Google HIPAA method.

Paid vs. unpaid does make a difference to UW at least.

        
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

And it's 7 years since it last reported correct?
Message 5 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
And it's 7 years since it last reported correct?

No, a derog account reports a max of 7.5 years from the OCs DoFD. The CRAs will typically schedule removal at the 7 yr mark so they are sure to remain within the law. For a paid collection you would want to begin a GW letter campaign asking for removal of the whole TL from your CR.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Stories/td-p/1573680

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.