Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

payment to collection agency vs original creditor

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

payment to collection agency vs original creditor

New to the myFICO kit! Received my Experien credit report and found the same unpaid debt listed under the 'Accounts' section AND the 'Collections' sections. Want to pay off this unpaid debt but:

1) should I pay the collection agency or the original creditor?
2) once this debt is paid will it show a zero(0) balance under both sections of the credit report?
3) and because this debt is listed under the 'accounts' and 'collections' sections is it counted twice against my credit score?

new myficokit user,

--backhand67
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: payment to collection agency vs original creditor

My wife had this happen once. She disputed both accounts as duplicates and the CRAs each deleted the one from the original creditor. She paid off the one that was left on her report (the CA). Unfortunately she didn't know about PFD at that time. Whichever one you end up with on your report you should definitely try for PFD.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a good question.  I have an account with original creditor and also with collection agency.  I'm so glad you posted that.  I didn't know you could dispute a duplicate. 

Thanks
Message 3 of 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

backhand67 wrote:
New to the myFICO kit! Received my Experien credit report and found the same unpaid debt listed under the 'Accounts' section AND the 'Collections' sections. Want to pay off this unpaid debt but:

1) should I pay the collection agency or the original creditor?
2) once this debt is paid will it show a zero(0) balance under both sections of the credit report?
3) and because this debt is listed under the 'accounts' and 'collections' sections is it counted twice against my credit score?

new myficokit user,

--backhand67

Hi! Start with this thread and come back with your questions.

Message Edited by fused111 on 07-31-2007 08:41 PM
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

FYI - I have disputed this type of account, the CR told me the OC and new CA can reportSmiley Sad  But it's still worth a shot!  They just use their little computer and "verify" so nothing ever changed for me, I need to try to MOV, and maybe "handwrite" the letter
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.