Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

piggy back credit

tag
crapandgarbage
New Contributor

piggy back credit

I have a friend buying a need house within the next few weeks. She is willing to allow me to be added not as a co owner but use the mortgage to build credit. is that possible?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: piggy back credit

Sure it's possible, but consider the downside: if your name is on the mortgage, you are on the hook if, for whatever reason, she is unable to make the payments. Imagine having no stake or rights in the property, but being liable if anything goes wrong!

No way no how would I expose myself to hundreds of thousands of dollars in potential liability (not to mention a big fat black mark on my credit report if the "best laid plans of mice and men" went awry) while gaining no assets in return.

Message Edited by TheNewWorldMan on 12-27-2007 12:48 AM
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

In addition to the downsides that TNWM pointed out ...

Imagine you are on the hook for the mortgage and nothing goes wrong (e.g., she doesn't make a single late payment). Smiley Happy

Fast forward to the time when YOU want to buy a house.  Her lender won't take you off her mortgage (unless she has sufficient income and credit to carry it herself), and your potential lender won't let you take on a second mortgage. Smiley Mad
Message 3 of 4
marty56
Super Contributor

When DW got divorced, the Ex had to refinace to get her name off the loan.

Don't do it.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.