Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

please HELP!! Disputes!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

please HELP!! Disputes!!

Ok so this is what happened. I disputed an old collection that is supposed to fall off in November. Well all they did was update my collection and prove it was mine. I'm in the process of buying a house so I had to get them to remove the dispute comment. I called experian and told them I needed it removed. They told me they had to ask the creditor. I told them no and then hung up. I called back and this time got a different nice lady who said she could do it no problem. Well a week later the comment was still there so I called back and asked to talk to a supervisor. He told me he was going to call with me on the phone to the debt collector and ask them to remove it. He asked me if I'm stating that the debt was mine and I said no I'm not saying it's mine I just need the comment removed. He said he was putting me on hold and then hung up on me. Anyways I called back and they said the comment was removed. That all happened yesterday. Well this morning I woke up and it said I new collection was added to my report .... it's the old one. What the heck. What can I do. Does that mean it will be on there another 7 years? Is it going to hurt my score? It hasn't so far according to my fico. Please somebody tell me what I can do.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: please HELP!! Disputes!!

Anybody? Should I call experian?
Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Dispute comments are optional and totally at the discretion of the consumer.

See FCRA 611(a)(6(B)(iv).

The consumer can request that his or her comments be removed, but cannot have the dispute itself removed.

The CRA has legal requirments once they complete reinvestigation of a dispute to maintain records and to include notice of the dispute in subsequent reports they issue.

See FCRA 611(c) and (d).

The CRA is well within its rights to decline deletion of disputes, but not the discretionary statement provided by a consumer that expresses his or her disagreement with the outcome of the dispute.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response. I'm aware of what you said but what I'm asking is why is it now showing as a new debt? Does that mean it's now going to stay on my report for another 7 years and is it going to hurt my score.
Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

No, it will not extend the exclusion of the collection from your credit report.

Exclusion of a collection is not related to when the collection is reported.

The FCRA mandates exclusion of any and all collections on a debt no later than 7 years plus 180 days from a single date-certain, which is the date of your first delinquency on the OC account that is basis for the collection.

The debt collector is required to report the DOFD no later than 90 days after reporting of their collection, and the CRA will then exlcude any collections no later than 7 years plus 180 days after that reported DOFD.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.