cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

please help. Problems with a debt collector.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

please help. Problems with a debt collector.

So I have this lease that I broke 2 years ago. It ended up coming out to $4100. Fast forward to the present. I owe $5800 to collections. Didn't know I owed $4100 until I called the apt complex. So I ask them why I've been charged an additional $1700. They said they didn't charge me the extra amount. I call the debt collections agency. They said the interest accrued the last 2 years. So I ask them what I can do to get to start paying them off. Guy said he would take down the amount I owe to $2600. So I said great ,ask if he can type up a letter stating that the amount would be lower and would make payments. He says he can't do that. So he said to just start making payments to lower what I owe. What should I do? Didn't know collections accrued interest.! I read the reviews on this group. ( Phoenix recovery group) and it's all very negative with people getting screwed over . Don't know how to deal with a company like this.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

Re: please help. Problems with a debt collector.

@Anonymous wrote:
So I have this lease that I broke 2 years ago. It ended up coming out to $4100. Fast forward to the present. I owe $5800 to collections. Didn't know I owed $4100 until I called the apt complex. So I ask them why I've been charged an additional $1700. They said they didn't charge me the extra amount. I call the debt collections agency. They said the interest accrued the last 2 years. So I ask them what I can do to get to start paying them off. Guy said he would take down the amount I owe to $2600. So I said great ,ask if he can type up a letter stating that the amount would be lower and would make payments. He says he can't do that. So he said to just start making payments to lower what I owe. What should I do? Didn't know collections accrued interest.! I read the reviews on this group. ( Phoenix recovery group) and it's all very negative with people getting screwed over . Don't know how to deal with a company like this.

Never never do payments with a debt collector. Ask for PFD and negotitate a lower amount. Is it reporting on your CR? if so is it still within the SOL? if it's outside, I would just wait for it to fall off.

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's a pdf? I did negotiate a lower amount but he would not send me a letter stating that we came to an agreement. He told me just to make payments and that on the computer it will say that we made a deal to lower it to $2600. So once I reach that $2600 he would delete it. I can't trust them.
Message 3 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
What's a pdf? I did negotiate a lower amount but he would not send me a letter stating that we came to an agreement. He told me just to make payments and that on the computer it will say that we made a deal to lower it to $2600. So once I reach that $2600 he would delete it. I can't trust them.

About as fat as you can throw a Sherman tank.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Very wise words.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Payment plans with CAs is best avoided. If you can gather up $2,000 or so, call back and negotiate an amount they'll accept now for full payment. Get the settlement amount in writing before sending payment.

As for pay for delete, if you're able to get that in writing, great, but don't count on it. However, some CAs, after paying a debt, will automatically remove the collection anyways and/or do so after sending them a goodwill letter(s) - it may take much persistance, but often the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.