Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure†
03-14-2013 03:01 PM
On 3/16/12 my EQ FICO was 679, my CC debt on my CR was about $65K (total for DH and myself was $89K), and I did not have a clue how to make things better.
Today? My EQ FICO is at 741. The CC debt on my CR is at about $11K (will go down to $8K by the end of the nonth when the payments from my tax refund hit the CR). DH has a total of about $4K on his CR.
I have learned SO much here on the myFICO site. You guys have been so helpful, especially in the beginning when I was clueless.
I took the following steps towards improvong my situation:
1) took myself off of DH's cards, and DH off of mine (nice jump in FICO score for both of us)
2) sold off assets to get cash to pay down debts (another jump) and cut our spending down
3) went on an app spree for 0% APR into rate cards (FNBO and Discover, and used a BT offer from my B&N MC to get a big chunk at 0%)
4) refinanced my house to a 30 year ARM mortgage @ 2.75%, (from a fixed 15 year) giving me $1000 per month to put towards CC debt
5) took out a HELOC from the CU at 3.50% and put all the debt not at 0% already into it
6) created an aggressive paydown plan to get rid of the rest of the debt. Was able to relax the "spending cuts a bit.
7) was able to start to rebuild the savings account, which is important to avoid getting back into debt trouble.
I have recieved SO MUCH great advice here. My situation is not typical. My debt load was high, our income is fairly high, we had some assets we could sell, and we had equity in the house (which is almost unheard of these days). I was able to get our FICO's high enough to get a good mortgage rate following advice I learned here. I was able to maximize 0% APR offers.
THANK YOU myFICO COMMUNITY. I would not be where I am today, exactly one year later, without all of your help.
03-18-2013 06:06 AM
“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin
Gardening since 3-26-15
03-18-2013 07:36 PM
Great accomplishments keep up the good work
03-19-2013 06:32 AM
Congratulations that is awesome!
Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more
FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.