Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about paying off a lot of accounts

tag
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

question about paying off a lot of accounts

I need some advice.  Ive been gone for a while.  Trying to garden would be the easiest way to put it.  Its hard to garden and browse this forum seeing a happy applicant getting approved everyday and me itching to apply for another account.

Long story short I've racked up about 23k in credit card debt and now I have the chance to pay them off in full.  What will happen after that?

Will creditors see that I carried balances for a little over a year?  I know that I will continue to grow with NFCU so no worries about that but mainly speaking in regards to new credit accounts that are more suited for my needs then what I have now.

Thanks for any advice 

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: question about paying off a lot of accounts

Why pay the interest if you don't have to?  I'd pay them off and breathe a sigh of relief!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:

Long story short I've racked up about 23k in credit card debt and now I have the chance to pay them off in full.  What will happen after that?

Will creditors see that I carried balances for a little over a year?

A creditor can if it performs a manual review but it doesn't matter for scoring purposes.  Utilization is only based on current reported balances.  No ideal what will happen,  if you've been at high utilization for a long time and only making minimum payments balance chasing may be possible.  Regardless, you'll want to pay off that 23K if you can.  It certainly isn't helping your utilization.

Message 3 of 10
randeman
Frequent Contributor

I just paid off $13,000 in credit card debt.  Trust me, you will feel soooooooooo much better.  And your score will reflect it.

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 4 of 10
EW800
Valued Contributor

Amen to that! For several years I was literally owned by the credit card companies. After a couple of years of very hard work, it feels so good to have it all paid off!
Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 5 of 10
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Thanks guys.  Mainly worried under manual review.   Is it going to hinder my approval that they see that I carried a balance this high for a bit I'm sure that it could quite be in my favor due to the fact that I paid it all back.

Thanks again

Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

Message 6 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@rootpooty wrote:

Thanks guys.  Mainly worried under manual review.   Is it going to hinder my approval that they see that I carried a balance this high for a bit I'm sure that it could quite be in my favor due to the fact that I paid it all back.

Thanks again

Look at it this way: underwriting prefers paid collections to open ones, by the same token any debt which is repaid is better in their eyes.

Also carrying a balance for a while, is a profit motive too for lenders, that counts for something.  I wouldn't sweat it, better to just pay it and go on with life instead of continuing to carry the balance at ~20% or whatever.

        
Message 7 of 10
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

I'm constantly carrying balances. Main reason I paid the accounts off was I'm going for a mortgage next month and wanted zero debt reporting

Message 8 of 10
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

if you can pay it ALL off, DO IT! why pay all the interest but more important, your stresswill be reduced and you will FEEL a whole lot better. It will be good for your credit score, all other things equal.

Message 9 of 10
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Just paid them all off its a great feeling

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.