cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

quick question about old credit cards still appearing and affecting my score.....................

tag
memevertical
Established Member

quick question about old credit cards still appearing and affecting my score.....................

Hi everyone, I have a quick question:

My ex-wife removed me as a joint member on three of her credit cards 6 months ago. Today, I go to check an updated Transunion Report, and it still taking in count the amounts those cards owed back then.....

In "last date reported" it shows the date of 6 months back, and in "responsibility" it shows "terminated", but when you go and see my TOTAL BALANCE, it has my mortgage (which is normal) added with those credit cards......why is it adding those amounts if im not responsable for that?

any thoughts?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: quick question about old credit cards still appearing and affecting my score....................

How did your ex "remove" you?  Normally, the creditor wont just "remove" a responsible party on a joint account, as they want to be able to pursue collection of any debt on all responsible parties.  "Removal" usually requires closing of the account, and if they want to retain her as a sole account holder, they would assign a new account and card.

I would contact the OC and ask them, if they have "terminated" your responsibility, to delete the account from your CR.

The only provision I am aware of for including the continued credit history of another in your credit file is by way of authorized user status, which does not appear to be your situation.

How the creditor is reporting your current debt responsibility on an account is recorded in your credit file under a code know as the "ECOA code."  That code records the credtior's assertion of your current responsibility as either Joint, Sole, or Maker (co-signer).  You might want to get the actual code of record recorded in your credit file to be sure of how the CRA is recording your responsibility on the account.  I have never seen an ECOA code of "formerly responsible" or "responsibility terminated."

Interesting situation......

Message 2 of 10
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: quick question about old credit cards still appearing and affecting my score....................

+1

Message 3 of 10
GregB
Valued Contributor

You were never authorized to talk to the Bank even when you were still active as an AU. They are not likely to talk to you so that you can be removed from the account.

However, you can simply dispute as "not mine" and they will remove the account. It will be completely gone so you might want to think about positive and negative effects on your report. Look at payment history, original date, debt and credit limit and make a decision about keeping it or having it removed.

Message 4 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The OP stated that prior status was as joint account holder, not an AU.

Message 5 of 10
GregB
Valued Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

The OP stated that prior status was as joint account holder, not an AU.

Oops! You are right.

Can you remove one person from a Joint account? I have only seen a few but they required closing the account.

Message 6 of 10
memevertical
Established Member

My bad, I was authorized user.......but anyway, here's the thing, here are two images for the two credit cards, and how its being displayed in my credit report. In my opinion, its hurting me, because they are adding whatever we owed to the card at that moment to my actual balance........

Message 7 of 10
memevertical
Established Member

any ideas? would it be better if i remove this two things??

Message 8 of 10
IOBA
Senior Contributor

It looks like Cap One last reported/updated 05/2011.   I'd leave it alone.   It helps your AAoA (probably) and is not negative.

It looks like Walmart last reported/updated 08/0211.  I'd leave it alone.  

Neither one are hurting you.   They both report a low monthly payment.    They both show a positive payment history.  

But if you are really worried about it, you can ask that the tradeline be removed.

Message 9 of 10
memevertical
Established Member

Well my only worry is that the balance is really close to the limit, so I don't know if that's gonna affect if someone looks at my report......
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.