tlc78

quick question

I have a collection from 1997. The collection agency keeps calling me to try to get me to pay.  It is off my credit report but how do I get the collection agency to stop calling?

Thank you.
Valued Contributor
Boswd

Re: quick question

send them a cease and desist letter, stating the debt is time barred.
Valued Contributor
Boswd

it is time barred right?   When was the last time you paid anything on this debt?   Also what is the SOL in your state?
tlc78

I have never paid it.  I know thats bad but oh well. The statute of limitations is 5 yrs in IL I think.
Frequent Contributor
nikkoslilmouse

Credit cards are generally considered Open Accounts. Auto loans and other installment agreements are Written Contracts. If there has already been a lawsuit resulting in a judgment, that judgment has a separate Statute Of Limitations, which you can find here.

and Ilinoise is 5yrs for Credit Cards

tlc78

It was for a cell phone.  And it was only at a collection agency never anywhere else.
Frequent Contributor
nikkoslilmouse

I believe Cell phones are a Writen Contract and that is 10yrs in your state.
Moderator Emeritus
fused

tlc78 wrote:
It was for a cell phone.  And it was only at a collection agency never anywhere else.

Shut off your land line or hook up a fax machine to it!:smileytongue:
Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (11-08-2014): EQ 818, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26+ years ~ AAoA: 12 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}