Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Canada" section for the forum?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Canada" section for the forum?

Hi Everyone,

I just joined - found the forum very informative.

However, some things related to Credit Bureaius and FICO scoring are different in Canada compared to the US.

I wonder if it is possible to add a "Canada" section to this forum to discuss specific Canadian credit/FICO issues.

I see "Canadian"sections on other forums and thought it might be useful here as well.

PS: It would also be nice if one could register properly with a Canadian address.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: "Canada" section for the forum?

I'm still trying to figure out if FICO scores are different in the US and Canada.

FICO has offices in Montreal and Toronto, closed right now unfortunately so I can't ask them and phone.

The FICO score range I received runs from 300 to 900, seems to me people on the forum are reporting a smaller range for FICO in the US

The FICO range in Canada is defined in the following groups:

300 - 560, poor 4%

560 - 660, fair, 10%

660 - 725, good, 15%

725 - 760, very good, 14%

760 - 900, excellent, 57%

Does that match the grouping in the US?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out if FICO scores are different in the US and Canada.

FICO has offices in Montreal and Toronto, closed right now unfortunately so I can't ask them and phone.

The FICO score range I received runs from 300 to 900, seems to me people on the forum are reporting a smaller range for FICO in the US

300 - 560, poor 4%

560 - 660, fair, 10%

660 - 725, good, 15%

Too many FICO scoring models to answer your question. The ranges of these models vary too. However, the most recent mainstream FICO model is FICO 8 and it caps out at 850. However, some FICO scoring models (especially industry enhanced ones) do go over 900 for FICO scores. 

The 900 score based model does not comport with the mainstream FIC0 98, FICO 04 or FICO 08 models. All these models cap in the 830-850 range for high scores. However, the ranges you mentioned in general are a close enough approximation for poor/fair/good/excellent credit for most mainstream FICO models. 

Message 3 of 6
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

300 - 560, poor 4%

560 - 660, fair, 10%

660 - 725, good, 15%

We'll trade you for maple syrup, eh?

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 4 of 6
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

300 - 560, poor 4%

560 - 660, fair, 10%

660 - 725, good, 15%

Equifax Canada uses Beacon 5.0 but with a modified top end score of 900.  You will find that Canadian scores are skewed much higher that US scores with the 50 percentile at around 759 whereas the US is more like 711 and the 75 percentile scores at 808 vs 777 respectively.  There is no such thing as a true bell curve for Canadian scores as the bell is skewed much further to the high scores than the lower scores. My own score of 791 EQ is only the 64 percentile in Canada but it would be a number to die for down south.

The difference is largely reflected in the different delinquicy rates for CCs. - 1.1% for Canada and 2.2% for the US.  Canadians carry far more personal debt on their cards but are also better at paying their debts, hence the higher credit scores.  Transunion Canada seems to be using their own scoring system that is not directly related to FICOCorrection: TransUnion Canada switched to using FICO 8 in 2011 for their scoring system.  Experian doesn't provide consumer level scores in Canada.  I also have received credit scores from a Montreal company called Credit Alert which simply repackages the credit information from Equifax and has their own non-FICO scoring system.  I don't know if you can purchase FICO scores directly from FICO in Canada.

Exact comparisons between the US and Canada is next to impossible as their are really 50+ scoring models in the US and an unknown number in Canada.  About all I have been able to do is compare the delinquincy rates for various ranges between US and Canadian scores.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 5 of 6
Billybob_TX
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I just joined - found the forum very informative.

However, some things related to Credit Bureaius and FICO scoring are different in Canada compared to the US.

I wonder if it is possible to add a "Canada" section to this forum to discuss specific Canadian credit/FICO issues.

I see "Canadian"sections on other forums and thought it might be useful here as well.

PS: It would also be nice if one could register properly with a Canadian address.

You have found a niche, an unfilled need. Be entrepreneurial.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.