cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"The Secret" lowered my FICO score! Please help.

tag
gidget
New Contributor

"The Secret" lowered my FICO score! Please help.

I've been studying the power of attraction while attempting to take the bull by the horns regarding messes in my life. Well, I believed cleaning up my credit was a good place to begin so I ordered my FICO scores and credit reports. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had good credit, below average but not bad. I wanted to raise my credit to excellent. I thought I would begin by trying to get this library fine off my report. The fine hadn't been reported since May 2005. Well I've spent the past week obsessing over the issues and pouring over this message board trying to figure out a way to get the library fine deleted. AND THEN! The CA reported the account derogatory again just 5 days ago after not reporting anything for over TWO WHOLE YEARS. *sigh* That's what I get for focusing on a negative. I no longer have "good" credit. The credit simulator said it will take me two years of paying everything on time to get my score up to 5 points lower than it was before this was reported a few days ago.

Please can anyone please help me by giving me advice on what to do about this library account? Anything, please?

Should I start by disputing through the credit bureaus or start with a PFD letter? Do I have to worry that they'll sue me? I am trying so hard to make things better but I seem to just keep hitting walls. Please help. Thank you.

Here are my old messages:

I have a library fine on my credit report from Unique Collection agency which was first reported delinquent in October, 2004. I had written a check to them in April of a past year which is reported in my check book register but I cannot recall the year or the terms of the payment. I am not sure if that was a partial payment or should have paid/closed the account. The collection agency reported delinquency to two of the three credit bureaus. They reported $65 to one bureau and $55 to the other. They hadn’t reported a delinquency since 2005 but I see that they just reported delinquent again two days ago. It’s brought my FICO score down and I really need to fix my credit as I will need an auto loan soon. I would like to get this collection item deleted from my credit reports but I am afraid to contact the collection agency to inquire about it. I am afraid my inquiry could initiate two more negative things, one being that they report to the third credit bureau and two that they begin calling me daily on the account. Any advice on how to handle this best would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I just bought my new credit report. My score dropped 37 points after the library fine was reported a few days ago.

The CA deleted all the past KDs they first reported in 2004. They entered a new KD for July 2007. So, this wouldn't fall off until July 2014? I read here in the forums that KD is equivalent to charge-off and read that it is as harmful to your credit as a bankruptcy. All this over a library fine?

Here is some more info:

Seriously past due date / assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's internal collection department
Collection Department / Agency / Attorney
Closed
Score Watch notified me that it was again reported July, 2007. Odd they waited over 2 years before reporting it again.

I just don't know where to begin. Should I call? Should I start with a PFD and then do a GW if that doesn't work? Does the fact that the account is now closed (according to Experian, but opened with TransUnion) affect the outcome? Thank you.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: "The Secret" lowered my FICO score! Please help.

1st mistake was wasting your time reading the power of attraction.

You should be reading credit scoring 101 -> Here

I would start over. verify, validate, etc.

PS - I just read elsewhere that folks have had success with complaining to the BBB about Unique.

Message Edited by alkizz on 07-30-2007 06:36 AM
Message 2 of 4
gidget
New Contributor

"1st mistake was wasting your time reading the power of attraction" LOL! Thanks for your input. I am going to attempt a PFD first. Hopefully that will work.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Secret is a GREAT book!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.