Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

refinance an auto loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

refinance an auto loan

I have a question about refinancing an auto loan.  Here is the run down:

Loan in Mar 07; still owe over $13,000. Hit with a ridiculous finance charge ($7,000 to be exact) and interest rate is at just under 14%.  Payments of $346.69 a month for 66 months were original terms. (This did include warranty, Gap insurance and lifetime warranty on car interior).  my scores were in the toilet then 542, 547 and 539 to be exact, but now are up to 650, 657 and 670 as I said before.  Should I refinance my loan now or wait until I purchase a home? 
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: refinance an auto loan

When are you planning to buy a home? If within the next six months, I would not refi your auto.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

It won't be for at least a year, but at the latest by May of 2009.  If so, I keep reading that a credit union is the best route. Do you know what kind of interest rate I could expect?
Message 3 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

If more than year, go for it, the refi that is. Auto loan rates is not my expertise, I'll get a mod in here to help you with this.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

how much is the car worth? (KBB.com)
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

not a mod, but justice fcu just dropped thier auto loans to 4.99% up 100% of nada value! a 652 eq got me thier best rate 4 months ago. cdc fcu (if you have an in) gave me 4.4%.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timothy wrote:
how much is the car worth? (KBB.com)

don't want to step on toes timothy, but i've found most cu's go by the nada.com retail value.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as RATE- my CU offers 7.24% APR 

On used autos- I have seen better APR's from other posters

You need to NOT be upside down on the loan- as Why I asked how much it is worth-  This may help you with DTI and $  wise when it is time to do the mortgage in a year.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timothy wrote:
with DTI and $  wise when it is time to do the mortgage in a year.

very valid point, plus why not put the money saved on interest to work for you.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica in great condition.  KBB value is approx $16000 when I checked in february.  One of my local CU's is offering 6.24% and I have savings account for my kids with them.  Still sound like a good idea?
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.