Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

renting an apartment?

tag
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

renting an apartment?

when renting an apartment and having your credit checked which credit bureau is pulled most frequently? what score is most common? for example the trans union trans risk score? the experian plus score? or the fico score?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
JoeBJay20
Established Contributor

Re: renting an apartment?

There's no way to guess or tell which report will be pulled, it's just a matter of landlord preference and perhaps your location.  If they pull your report, it's almost a given it will be some sort of industry modified FICO score.  Factors like rental history and income will also be determinants.  That being said, if you meet the income requirements, chances are high that you would be approved, unless you have a history of evictions.  You may be required to put down a larger security deposit with lower scores. 
Message Edited by JoeBJay20 on 07-16-2009 05:43 PM
Message 2 of 7
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

thats basically what i thought and it seems like you are confirming it. there would be no way for them to know my "fico" score. the score they get would have to be a "fako" from whichever credit bureau they were using.
Message 3 of 7
JoeBJay20
Established Contributor

No that's not what I said, if they pulled your report they would get your FICO score.  My point was that unless your score is extremely low or you had a history of evictions, that it wouldn't be a deterrent in you qualifying for the apartment.
Message 4 of 7
DI
Super Contributor

I don't think apartment managers are interested in your FICO scores.  They make a manual decision.  They look for all of your account to say Paid As Agreed.  If you have one or two baddies, and you know about them you should tell them up front.   They also more worried about your income and your place of employment. In 2007 my apt manager pulled a TU report. 
Message 5 of 7
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

i understand. thanks for the input guys.
Message 6 of 7
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Management wont base a credit check off of a credit score. The main purpose they pull the CR is to look for the big 4 ...solid payment history, collections, liens, and BK. However, they might have a custom score designed by the tenant screener to figure out how much you will pay for deposit and etc.  hope that helps!
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.