Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reopening a chase account (letter)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

reopening a chase account (letter)

This didn't get any responses in Credit Cards so I thought I'd try here.  I'm not sure if this is technically concidered a GW letter or not.  I'm not asking for anything bad to be removed.  What do you think my chances are?

Dear Chase Customer Service,

I would like to request you reopen my old credit card account, number ***.  It was originally opened in November of 2003 and was closed in September of 2005.  I asked that the account be closed because I was getting married and was in the process of “cleaning house” financially.  Now I realize that this account would have been a great fit for our family.  Rather then apply for a new card, which I am sure I am well qualified for based on my credit reports and FICO scores, I would like to reopen the old account to take advantage of its original opening date.  This may not seem like a large advantage, but I would like to maximize the utility of the trade lines already in existence in my credit reports, without opening new ones.  I actually have an even older Chase credit card account, number ****, reporting on my credit report with an opening date of March of 2001 and a closing date of June of 2003, but the credit limit associated with that card is too low to be of significant us to me.  If it is possible to reopen both of these accounts, combine them, and keep the oldest opening date, that would be ideal.

I’ve always liked the Chase accounts I’ve had in the past, including my old Bank One accounts, they were my first checking and savings accounts!  I’ve always been very responsible with my credit card use and love the added security of using a credit card in an environment that has become ripe with Identity Theft concerns.  I appreciate any time you take to review my request.

krystofur

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: reopening a chase account (letter)

I was able to merge Citibank accounts when they were all open but I am not sure about closed ones.  I dont suppose it will hurt to try since the probably will do a hard pull on you which will also be done if you applied for a new card from someone else.

My question is what is your end goal?  Your credit scores are very good and you could probably get a CC with a good limit anywhere if it is credit that you need.  I will assume that you PIF on CC that you have and if you have any balances, they are all under 10%. Also if they reopen your old account with a 6k CL what if Citi offered you one with a 12k CL? Which would help your score more?

My end goal, besides being out of CC debt is to have scores above 760 so that I can get the best possible rates for a car load in the summer/fall timefarme and for credit if I need so in the future.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Marty, I'm mainly doing this just to see if it will work.  The average age of all my revolving accounts is pretty low, less then four years.  I only have one open CC, plus an AU on my DW's CC, and I thought I could use another.  Just though I'd give it a try.  If it doesn't work I'll probably re-apply later in the year.  Also, the first account number I mentioned in the letter had a high CL so it would fit what I need nicely.

krystofur
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry didn'[t see it.  Chase has a three month cutoff on closed accounts as a rule but as mom said 'Nothing beats a failure but a try.'
Message 4 of 9
marty56
Super Contributor

I see, I would call them and then GW them then.  At worst you may take a inq hit.  I had a 1979 vintage JCP card that no lates on it but I got closed when it was PIF since it was in the DMP.  if I had been here sooner, I wouldnt have included it in the program since it would have added 5 years to my open account history.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brammy wrote:
Sorry didn'[t see it.  Chase has a three month cutoff on closed accounts as a rule but as mom said 'Nothing beats a failure but a try.'

You got that right.  I haven't heard from Chase yet, but we just tried the same thing for DW's BoA card.  She opened it in 2003 and closed it in April of 2007.  I talked to a CSR online who said first that 1 month and then 6 months is the max.  Then I had DW call herself.  They said they would review the account.  Today we got the T&C and Privacy Policy info in the mail for the account.  No letter saying the account was reopened, no actual CC yet, but here's hoping.
Message 6 of 9
PayYouNever
Frequent Contributor

Chase won't re-open your account; it's past the 90-day cooling off period that's company policy.

Just open another account that is best for you, look for a card on RipOffReport.com to find the best rate.

I'm sure you want the history and the credit line, but CCC aren't in the business of re-opening old accounts.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't heard back from Chase yet, maybe I will be out of luck with that one.  But good news on the DW's BoA card.  We got the cards in the mail today.  They changed the account number but show an opening date of 2003.  That has me a little concerned because the credit report shows an opening date of 2004.  I'll have to keep an eye open for that after it reports.

edit:  no I double checked, it was 2003.  Smiley Happy

Message Edited by krystofur on 01-11-2008 04:43 PM
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

No good.  Chase said my account number was "purged".  Oh well.  BoA made it seem so easy!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.