Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scores and apartment leasing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

scores and apartment leasing

hey guys, ill be putting in my application to lease a brand new apartment shortly. i was wondering if i should be concerned with the application process, my scores are 683, 663, and 618.  im not too concerned with being turned down, i know my scores arent awful.... just wanted to get some other opinions on the matter. thanks in advance
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: scores and apartment leasing

See if you can get anything else prettied up so it looks good on app.  Pay down balances if it wouldn't be a strain to.

And, provide your own fairly recent CBRs.  Most places will take them and therefor not cost you a credit check fee and hard INQ.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just had to help my little sister look for her first apartment. Apartment companies do ck your credit but they are mainly focused on your rental history. My sister has fairly new credit (2yrs.) and all high credit scores but no rental history. One place told her first and last month rent and the other place told her double deposit.
On the other hand, I know someone with really bad credit and very low scores but good rental history. He was approved with no deposit! Go figure.

I am sure it also depends on where you live also. We are in Texas.
Message 3 of 6
PayYouNever
Frequent Contributor

It's all about rental history, but they want to see if you have any rental related judgments or any tax liens, which will void your ability to rent most of the time.

providing your own CBR does prevent the hard inq, saves you money and enables you to discuss any potentially troubling matters. It's something to consider.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

if i provide my own credit reports to them, will i need to give them all 3 or can i use the one with the highest score? also, this line from the qualifications agreement bothers me...

"All accounts including collection accounts within the last 36 months cannot exceed 35% of applicants total credit history

im only 22, and my oldest account is 4 years old. i have many student loans and 3 other CCs, and a car loan i was added to in june. ive never had any collections. one closed account by credit grantor due to 2 late payments that is paid off, and the other CC's are all paid off. i have available credit of over $7000 but total utilization is under 5%. not quite sure what to make of that.....

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not think you have anthing to worry about. Seriously, they are looking for RENTAL history. Yes they take your credit into consideration but that is just one factor. You can have good credit and but with a broken lease and will get denied!
I know this may be scary for you but unless they are uber strick with their rules you shouldn't have anything to worry about. It is not like buying a house trust me!!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.