Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

so confused..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

so confused..

So i recently had some Capital One accounts fall off of my credit report. I was very happy, as it appeared as though my score was going up and up.

Then I got this today:

Collection on debt to: Capital One Bank

The collection agency "Portfolio Recvry&Affil" was hired to collect a debt of $2,232 originally owed to "Capital One Bank" on account number "XXXXXXXXXXXX"

Brand new. My score went down over 60 points due to this.

What can I do? I was under the impression that after 7 years it would drop off.

I am devistated at this.

Any advice would be wonderful.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: so confused..

dsteed

you are correct - the CRTP is up 7 - 7.5 yrs after DOFD and the TL should disappear into Far Away Land for all eternity.  Double check the DOFD.  If you are certain the CRTP has past and this CA is reporting that's a violation.

CAs can still send you a "bill" but OH WELL lol.

Good Luck!

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does this show a DOFD? Have you received a letter from Portfolio Recovery? Do you have a copy of your CR from when Cap 1 was reporting? If so,what was the DOFD listed there?

dsteed wrote:
So i recently had some Capital One accounts fall off of my credit report. I was very happy, as it appeared as though my score was going up and up.

Then I got this today:

Collection on debt to: Capital One Bank

The collection agency "Portfolio Recvry&Affil" was hired to collect a debt of $2,232 originally owed to "Capital One Bank" on account number "XXXXXXXXXXXX"

Brand new. My score went down over 60 points due to this.

What can I do? I was under the impression that after 7 years it would drop off.

I am devistated at this.

Any advice would be wonderful.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

#1   do you have copies of CR with Cap1 reporting?   IF you do  look for the DOFD   and look for * will remain on CR untill month/year *  this will be typed in    EX puts it all the way to the right>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have not received anything from Portfolio yet. There were actually 2 accounts from capital one that were to drop off in August of 2008. While monitoring my reports, I just assumed that they dropped off early.

The really strange thing is, is that neither of these accounts were for this amount. I can match the account number, but the amount due is wrong, and adding them both together does not equal the sum of this amount.

What this seems like is that a CA has bought this debt, and now it starts all over again, is that a correct assumption?

Message Edited by dsteed on 03-15-2008 10:54 AM
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the CA is atarting the timeframe over it is blatant re-aging.  DV the CA immediately.  If reporting correctly, then will come off in August, if not then some very nice violations to collect on (re-acing is $2500 plus the reporting violations).
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, to DV the CA, I would send them a letter to justify the debt? Should I wait until August to do this, or immediately? I have noticed in other threads if a CA re-ages a debt there is not much i can do about it, is that true?

Message Edited by dsteed on 03-16-2008 09:12 PM
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If past SOL.........send now.

Yes there is much you can do about it if it is re-aged.

dsteed wrote:
So, to DV the CA, I would send them a letter to justify the debt? Should I wait until August to do this, or immediately? I have noticed in other threads if a CA re-ages a debt there is not much i can do about it, is that true?

Message Edited by dsteed on 03-16-2008 09:12 PM

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the SOL on this, or where can I find out? I am in UTAH.

Here is more info if it might help:

I had 2 accounts with Capital One.

According to my credit reports both are to drop off in August of this year:

Capital One, DOFD: 4/2001.  DOLA: 4/2001: According to my EX to remain till 8/2008
Capital One, DOFD: 10/2001.DOLA:4/2001: According to my EX to remain till 8/2008

At this time I have received nothing in the mail from the CA.

Do I send them a DV Right away?

I appreciate any further help you can give me.

Thanks again.

Message Edited by dsteed on 03-16-2008 10:58 PM
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.