Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

state tax lien

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

state tax lien

Hi
How is everyone? I just paid state tax lien of 250 dollars. What is the next step?
Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: state tax lien

What is a release form?
Message 2 of 6
CreditBob
Established Contributor

I went thought he same thing that you went through. On your tax lien contact the right division such as IRS, county, state, etc., or whoever is the entity that reported the tax lien to teh credit bureaus. If they are tax liens the only way thatn they would even consider deleting them from your report is if you have filed on time evry eyar and stayed in contact. The second hing is why was a tax lien put on their to begin with? If you ahve extenuating circumstances such as being in a medical accident or there wasa misunderstanding them contact them and request that they have the tax lien removed. The most important hing thta you have to do when calling or writing them a letter, is. to be very ncie and sincere sounding. Do not get defensive or rude with them. Here is oen example: I understand that I owed money and that it is standard procedure to add the tax lien of my credit reprot and thta you are jsut doing your job. I would like to sincerely request that you have the tax lien remoeved form my credit report because I took care of the bill and had always stayed. in contact. I also ahd extenuating circumstances (let them know what they are). Hope this helps.   I had both IRS and state tax liens on my credit report. I had always filed on tiem each year and stayed in contact with them. In 1990 I got hit by a car on a scooter. As a result I had owed about $ 2,000 in back taxes. because I made my paymenst i=on tiem and satyed in touch with both agencies they removed the tax liens even before I was done paying. I was also able to provide proof of my accident. I wanted to share that with everyone. That is why it is important, not matter how small the bill may be, to always keep in conatc with the creditorand amke evry effort to pay the bill. That goes a long way compared to if you try to ignore them.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for such a nice post Bob. I moved from NY to PA almost 9 years ago. I never checked my credit report for years. Few months ago I checked my report and I saw a state tax lien of 250 dollars and it was from NJ. I disputed it and cred it agency told me that is a valid lien. I sent 250 dollar payment at that address. Anyway its is under MERCER CO REGISTRY. I got the payment back from the court. They told me that they dont take payments at the court and I should contact the dmv. I got a NJ surcharge letter for 250 dollars a week ago. What state tax lien has to do with dmv. I called the number on that surcharge letter but they have no idea why I received that surcharge letter but they told me if I dont pay that balance my license would be suspensed. I paid the balance anyway. So what should I do now?
thanks

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now I have paid ths state tax lien. If I dont do anything, will it automatically be removed from my credit report after 7 years?
thanks
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had 3 county tax liens for failure to pay fines from years ago,
the tax leins are a way the courts collect on unpaid traffic tickets
I paid the 3 off and they came off after contacting the county offices
and then the DMV once they were paid and they came right off my
reports.
I still have a property tax lien that I payed and it won't come off even though
I recieved a release of tax lein on it, it is at or over the 10 year mark so TU said
they will dispute it for me to remove it...

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.