Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

strategy - good or bad idea?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

strategy - good or bad idea?

Okay, I filed a 13 bk in 2004, converted to a 7 bk in 2007.  I have had NO credit during this period (except for a car loan).  Now, I have one tiny credit card.  It only has a CL of $250.  I would really like them to raise it but understand that I am really in no position to ask.  So, here's what I was wondering.  I know the "status quo" is to only utilize up to 30% of your credit cards.  Since I have only one, would it be bad to repeatedly charge up the limit, then PIF each month?  Would doing this for a few months make me more likely to get an increase?  I really hate the thought of having to open up new lines of credit and having to pay for the fees.  (since I'm trying hard to save money).

Right now I am not really concerned about my immediate credit score. (or the yo-yo affect that will come with "maxing" my only cc)   I have no plans of purchasing a home or car in the next few years. 

Any advice here? 
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: strategy - good or bad idea?

willows wrote:
Okay, I filed a 13 bk in 2004, converted to a 7 bk in 2007.  I have had NO credit during this period (except for a car loan).  Now, I have one tiny credit card.  It only has a CL of $250.  I would really like them to raise it but understand that I am really in no position to ask.  So, here's what I was wondering.  I know the "status quo" is to only utilize up to 30% of your credit cards.  Since I have only one, would it be bad to repeatedly charge up the limit, then PIF each month?  Would doing this for a few months make me more likely to get an increase?  I really hate the thought of having to open up new lines of credit and having to pay for the fees.  (since I'm trying hard to save money).

Right now I am not really concerned about my immediate credit score. (or the yo-yo affect that will come with "maxing" my only cc)   I have no plans of purchasing a home or car in the next few years. 

Any advice here? 

Charging anything and paying in full each month will look good to your issuer but not necesarily to your fico score.  I wouldn't necessarily max out the card because depending on when it reports, it could hurt you.  Just use the card for about 30% of the limit then PIF.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

take it to 30% and just before the payment date pay it down to less than 10%, wait for the statement to cut before using again.

Opt-in to offers (not to take them but to track what offers you are receiving).

In 6-9months - take ONE of the pre-screened and apply.  Do that again in 6-9 months.

No mass app parties ( I am infamous at that and should be banished to the Sleigh Center for mine).
Message 3 of 4
PayYouNever
Frequent Contributor

If you can keep your card below 10% for 2 or 3 months, you'll probably see a score raise -- if only by 10 or 15 points, but you should be able to bump to CL to $400... then you're on your way.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.