Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

understanding free CR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

understanding free CR

so last week i asked for a CLI from BoA. i was given a lower CL than what i requested. today i got a letter. in it, it says i can obtain a copy of my CR from TU. my questions are:
- is this really free?
- is this 'different' from the free annual report?
- if it is, does it mean then that technically you can get free CR every time you get denied?? and on top of that, you get a free annual report too???

im asking coz i haven't pulled my free annual TU report (i plan to pull it in june). i'm afraid that if i do this now, it will count as my free annual report. :/ kindly enlighten a noob. thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: understanding free CR

Yes, there are rights to free reports in addition to the free annual report available once every 12 months to all consumers  under FCRA 612(a).

If you are denied credit (called an "adverse action"), you must be advised of the right to send a copy of the denail letter to the CRA identified in the denial letter (if any), and that CRA must provide you a free copy of your credit report if you send your request within 60 days of the denial letter (FCRA 612(b)).

When you are not denied, but rather are offered new or increased credit or insurance under terms less favorable than those generally offered, you are also entitield to a free report if the creditor or insuror used a credit report as part of their determination.  Again, you must send a copy of the "risk-based pricing" notice of less favorable terms to the identified CRA.

There are also additional situations where a free report is provided, including when the consumer is unemployed or receiving public assistance (FCRA 612(d)) or in connection with fraud alerts (FCRA 612(e)).

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can also get a free report online when you have had adverse action in your case lower CLI than you requested.  Yes it is free and does not count as you free annual report.  Google "transunion denied credit report access" and get it online if you wish.

Message 3 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

- is this really free?

Yes.

@Anonymous wrote:

- is this 'different' from the free annual report?

Yes.  You get your annual report no matter what.  This is because of adverse action and has nothing to do with your free annual report.

@Anonymous wrote:

- if it is, does it mean then that technically you can get free CR every time you get denied?? and on top of that, you get a free annual report too?? 

It's not just denials. I got a copy with an approval because I didn't qualify for the best terms.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

wow! gtk about being approved but not in the best terms. i think i have seen those before. i'll keep that in mind from now on. =)

thanks!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.