cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

utility bill thorn in the side

tag
soojaded

utility bill thorn in the side

I'm looking for advice on some old utility bills that are on my reports.  They date back to 2001, but were taken over by a collection agency in 2004.  The amounts reported are not correct.  I've just recently started trying to repair my credit and am unsure what to do with this.  The accounts are out of state.  I have never received any notices from the collection agency.  Should I send a DV letter or should I pursue a pay for delete?  The total amount on four different entries from the collection agency is $682.00.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
soojaded

Re: utility bill thorn in the side

<bump>
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: utility bill thorn in the side

soojaded wrote:
I'm looking for advice on some old utility bills that are on my reports.  They date back to 2001, but were taken over by a collection agency in 2004.  The amounts reported are not correct.  I've just recently started trying to repair my credit and am unsure what to do with this.  The accounts are out of state.  I have never received any notices from the collection agency.  Should I send a DV letter or should I pursue a pay for delete?  The total amount on four different entries from the collection agency is $682.00.

Do you know exactly when in 2001? That should mean they'd be falling off this year sometime.

If you believe they are reporting the wrong amount, then I'd DV them. Wait for the results and then proceed as needed. If they validate, offer a PFD. If they don't validate, they'll more than likely turn the accounts back to the OC(from what I understand, as they can't sell them to another CA), then I'd work with the OC. Or you can call the OC directly and ask them to pull them back from the CA and allow you to pay them directly. If the OC isn't reporting, that would be the way to go. Always try to work with an OC first.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.