Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

verification of debt.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

verification of debt.

I called Equifax today to inquire about a dispute and they said it had been verified so I asked how was it verified and the representative me they verified it by my SS and my address.  Is that really all they have to do to verify a dispute?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: verification of debt.

Did you send a request for debt verification to the CRA, or did you identify an inaccuracy in information in your credit report?

The first issue is whether what you filed was simply a request for debt verification without any supporting documenttion, or did you identity an inaccuracy in reproted information, and provide documentation of why it is considered inaccurate?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I disputed it cause the account honestly wasnt mine.
Message 3 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Have you talked to the original lender on this about it not being yours?

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had something put on my report that was not mine and hired Lexington Law since whatever I tried failed.  They wanted me to provide info too and I had nothing!  Was off my report asap with them!  Might have cost me 99.95, but it's gone, gone. gone.  Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you file a dispute that simply asserts "debt not mine," you are almost assuredly going to get a legitimate verification.

The creditor has some basis for showing that you are the responsble party for the asserted debt.

If that documentation was never submitted or approved by you, then you have someone else's use of your identity.

The creditor is not required to conduct a private investigation and "prove" tthat you authorized the account/transaction.

Thus, they can verify based on their documentation.

Recognizing that the FCRA dispute process wont resolve a "debt not mine" assertion, the FCRA was amended to provide an identity theftt process, where the consumer can simply provide a police report to back up their assertion, and get the information bllocked from their credit report with no consent or involvement of the creditor.

I suggest you review the FCRA identity theft process, which is discussed in detail in the stirck thread "Victim of Identity Theft?" att the upper section of the General Credit Topics forum.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.