cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what are the varied implications of low FICO scores? (SUPER nervous re short sale)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

what are the varied implications of low FICO scores? (SUPER nervous re short sale)

We are in a TERRIBLE situation with our home and think our only way out is a short sale.  We have high credit now (765-795), but that will be gone. Plus we may have to wait at least 3 years after our short sale process is complete to buy a new home. Smiley Sad We are okay with renting now, but do want to purchase a home within the next few years. My stepdad has offered to help us purchasing a new home in the future if FICO scores are low as a result of the short sale. (I'm not sure exactly how a person could help - and we need to discuss that more - but I'm assuming purchase in his name, we rent it, and purchase it back from him. Like a rent to own).

What are the other negative implications of low FICO scores? I think I have a good grasp, but I'm so worried and stressed I'm missing something.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: what are the varied implications of low FICO scores? (SUPER nervous re short sale)

From a quick google search

1. High interest rates on your credit cards and loans

Creditors and lenders see bad credit applicants as riskier than their better credit counterparts. They make you pay for this risk by giving you a higher interest rate. Over time you’ll end up paying more in interest than you would if you have better credit.

2. Credit and loan applications may not be approved

Because creditors and lenders think you’re a risk, they might not want to lend to you at all. You may find that your applications are being denied because of bad credit.

3. Difficulty getting approved for an apartment

Who knew that landlords checked credit before allowing you to sign a lease? It’s true. Having bad credit can leave you homeless or close to it.

4. Security deposits on utilities

Utility companies – electricity, phone, and cable – check your credit as part of the application process. If you have a bad credit history, you may have to pay a security deposit to establish service in your name, even if you’ve always paid your utility bills on time.

5. You can't get a cell phone contract

Yep, cell phone companies check your credit too. They contend that they’re extending a month of service to you, so they need to know how reliable your payments will be. If your credit’s bad, you may have to get a prepaid cell phone or go without one at all.

6. You might get denied for employment

Certain jobs, especially those in the finance industry, require you to have a good credit history. You can actually be turned down for a job because of negative items on your credit report, especially high debt amounts, bankruptcy, or outstanding bills.

7. Higher insurance premiums

Insurance companies check credit too. They say that lower credit scores are linked to higher claims filed. Because of this theory, they check your credit and charge a higher premium to those with lower credit scores, regardless of the number of claims you’ve actually filed.

8. Difficulty starting your own business

Many new businesses need banks loans to help fund their startup. A bad credit history can limit the amount you’re able to borrow to start a new business, even if you have the greatest idea and the data to prove it.

9. Difficulty purchasing a car

Banks check your credit before giving you a car loan. With bad credit you might get denied or you might get approved with a high interest rate. Most of those “no credit check” car lots charge extremely high interest rates that make it difficult to make your monthly car payments.

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.