Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what happens if a spouse dies?

tag
mrgoattoo
New Contributor

what happens if a spouse dies?

Just curious

I live in Ohio and was wondering what happens when a spouse owes  money on a credit card and dies and the other spouse isnt on their accounts.

The wife and I have a number of credit cards that are in our own names, no joint accounts, and I have a balance on the one for a car and we got to wondering if I were to pass away if she could be responsible for that card even though its not a joint account.

TU FICO average 819
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

Re: what happens if a spouse dies?

As I understand, the decedent's estate would be responsible for the debt. If the estate is not solvent, then the bank would lose out.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 2 of 7
mrgoattoo
New Contributor

@OhioCPA wrote:

As I understand, the decedent's estate would be responsible for the debt. If the estate is not solvent, then the bank would lose out.

Thats what I thought I was understanding as I was reading about Ohio law but wasnt sure.

I wonder why they cant come directly after the surviving spouse since the debt was likely taken on during the marriage?

TU FICO average 819
Message 3 of 7
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

Ohio isn't a community property state, so that might be part of it. I assume they could come after joint owned assets, or the car since it was security on the note.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 4 of 7
mrgoattoo
New Contributor

@OhioCPA wrote:

Ohio isn't a community property state, so that might be part of it. I assume they could come after joint owned assets, or the car since it was security on the note.

Actually the car was bought with a 'balance transfer' where they just deposited cash into my account from a credit card that could have been used for anything so there is nothing attaching the car to the loan. I did it this way so I didnt have to have full coverage insurance to keep the insurance cost down but when we changed over to StateFarm it as so much cheaper then our Geico insurance that we ended up with full coverage with 10 times the coverage, 10 times the renters coverage and a huge liability umbrella for just a little more ($14 a month additional) anyway.

The main reason I asked the question was the wife wondered, for instance, if I had gone nuts on my CC's and then died would she be responsible for it even though she had nothing to do with the charges.

TU FICO average 819
Message 5 of 7
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

No but if you go nuts on your credit cards she may be responsible for your death due to her frustration / anger.Smiley Very Happy

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 7
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@HoldingOntoHope wrote:

No but if you go nuts on your credit cards she may be responsible for your death due to her frustration / anger.Smiley Very Happy

lol

FICO Scores 800+
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.