cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what happens with hard pulls if you have no credit file?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: what happens with hard pulls if you have no credit file?

Yes. It was applied for under only HIS social security number. Applied for it ON his birthday. The AU account i gave him did not appear on a CR until my last statement generated back on the 24th. And it was his first AU account ever. I was not able to pull a report for him until that AU account had showed up (at least thru CK). Being that your daughter is 21, if you add her as an AU to your longest standing account with low util% and perfect payment history, MY ASSUMPTION is that she can easily get an entry level (non-student) card of her own the day your AU tradeline begins reporting. i do believe that Discover and Capital One wont require a FICO score for approval. Cant say with 100% certainty, but for myself, I got a secured card from BoA the month I turned 18, and then a month later an unsecured Discover card which says to me they werent able to pull a FICO since it hadnt been 6 months of having credit. Just make sure she knows the ins and outs of credit, something i didnt know at the time. She cant be afraid to use it, but she cant abuse it. 

Message 11 of 12
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Re: what happens with hard pulls if you have no credit file?

Thanks for the response.

Her student cards really have no downside. The starting $1200 WF and $1750 Discover CLs are more than sufficient for her needs and come with very favorable APRs. [not that APRs matter as she is adamant about PIF and only charges what she can afford]. Cash back rewards aren't too shabby either.

My daughter's comfortable using her WF Visa because she has saving, checking and a debit card with the bank. Makes for easy payment. However, she has resisted using the Discover card. I mentioned if she never used it, they would cancel it perhaps in as early as 7 months. It's a good card for establishing credit history. She finally put a $35 charge on it last week. The bill came and she asked for advice on how best to pay it. Smiley Tongue

Two cards is all she wants at this time (a good decision IMO). Both the Discover and WF cards should be convertable to non student versions without much difficulty. The cards could be long term keepers as both have high CL potential after conversion. DW and I helped pay for college - DD is on her own as far as credit building goes.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.