Moderator Emeritus

Re: what is so good about an amex card?

loloswims wrote:
Hey guys I come on here and see all of this talk about amex cards.  What is so good about amex cards? 

The drunken pool parties Amex throughs for you... duh.
Valued Contributor

It's more of a status symbol than anything else.  Amex has had the reputation for being very a tough card to get and usually people with scores of over 700 can get them.  
Valued Contributor

Tuscani wrote:

loloswims wrote:
Hey guys I come on here and see all of this talk about amex cards.  What is so good about amex cards? 

The drunken pool parties Amex throughs for you... duh.

LOL  LOL   Post of the day!!!!!!!!
Moderator Emeritus

Boswd wrote:
It's more of a status symbol than anything else.  Amex has had the reputation for being very a tough card to get and usually people with scores of over 700 can get them.  

I agreed until recently.  Now it seems Discover is the #1 credit stickler!  Case in point, many at this forum are in credit repair mode and I have read only a handful of Discover threads...hmmmmmmmm
Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (11-08-2014): EQ 818, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26+ years ~ AAoA: 12 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1

Valued Contributor

I was just thinking about that with all the low and mid 600's getting Amex.   Kind of reminds of Caddy Shack when the Exclusive Country Club Busch Woods having it's employee day at the pool.  :smileyvery-happy:
Senior Contributor

fused111 wrote:

I agreed until recently.  Now it seems Discover is the #1 credit stickler!  Case in point, many at this forum are in credit repair mode and I have read only a handful of Discover threads...hmmmmmmmm

I think with Discover it may actually be easier to get in the door, but with AMEX once thru the door you can get into 2 or 3 other rooms with relative ease.
Moderator Emeritus

A few friends and I all with FICO scores btw 728-796, no derogs, low util and all of us were denied by Discovercard.  I understand why I was denied, my file was very thin and had no cc's at the time I applied.  But my friends have thicker files and were also denied and the reason, you are a high risk.  Go figure! 
Credit Profile -
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!

Frequent Contributor

Fused ...  I have a question -- when AmEx pulls EX, would that be the Vantage or the Plus score?
Moderator Emeritus

MercyMe wrote:
Fused ...  I have a question -- when AmEx pulls EX, would that be the Vantage or the Plus score?

Amex wil never pull a Vantage or Plus score.  FICO or credit-card enhanced FICO, Yes.  Amex pulls mostly EX and sometimes EQ.  Also, Amex has their own scoring formula.
Credit Profile -

Frequent Contributor

I can rest assured, then, that I was successful in my efforts to clean up the company credit (that my father-in-law and his sons ran into the ground) well enough for it to have earned the right to carry the AmEx Gold for Business, huh?

mercy, and man was that a task!

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions based on Experian or Equifax data (additional FICO® Score versions based on TransUnion data are not currently available on myFICO.com). Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.