cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what was the most stupid mistake you made while working on your credit scores?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

what was the most stupid mistake you made while working on your credit scores?

I disputed ALL old closed accounts..felt like i was spring cleaning getting rid of everything old i no longer used.. half of it i couldn't even remember what it was it was so old!

What an idiot... I lost years and years of good credit..and so did my husband!!

Wish i had found this board first!

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: what was the most stupid mistake you made while working on your credit scores?

First I tried to do 2 CR, mine and DH at the same time. I had no idea what I was doing. I also disputed all baddies without knowing if they were even ours. This is a good way to see your scores hit bottom!
Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: what was the most stupid mistake you made while working on your credit scores?

@Anonymous wrote:

I disputed ALL old closed accounts..felt like i was spring cleaning getting rid of everything old i no longer used.. half of it i couldn't even remember what it was it was so old!

What an idiot... I lost years and years of good credit..and so did my husband!!

Wish i had found this board first!

Yeah i did the same thing a few years ago i was such a fool lol

Message 3 of 27
Miner
Frequent Contributor

Paid valid collection that was never on my reports without getting guarentee first that they wouldn't report it latter.  Sure enough, they reported a month after I paid them.
Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Disputing a positive account. Result - Dropped score. Too late now.

2. Then turning down a CLI offered by CCC to double CL. I said didn't want it. 

Message 5 of 27
laz98
Senior Contributor

made payment on collection account about 6 months before SOL was up Smiley Sad

disputed positive account (i read my CRs wrong, i thought it was reporting as 2 accounts)

gave my current phone number to CRAs when disputing (GREAT idea!!!  NOT!!!)

Message 6 of 27
niecey89
Frequent Contributor

But of course applying for more credit. I have no idea what my problem is. I am struggling (like 50% of america..living paycheck to paycheck) and i keep doing it. YES I AM A SHOP-HOLIC. IF it is not on sale or a have a coupon then i do not get it (that is the only good thing about my spending)
FICO Scores 7/15/2008: EQ 600, TU 546, EX 490
9/17/08 - TU 571,12/17/08 649,3/16/09 638, 6/14 642
ScoreWatch 12/17/08 EQ 646, 1/2/ 09 664, 2/2/09 684,2/12/09 673, 2/16/09 688, 2/27 674,3/3 682,4/16 685, 6/28 679
1/2/09 EX 668 2/13/09 669
AS of NOV08 I am Credit card debit free. I AM A MYFICO.COM ADDICTED Smiley Happy ~
Message 7 of 27
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Worst thing: disputing everything, good and bad.
Message 8 of 27
treski
Frequent Contributor

I PIFed my CAs instead of PFDed.  Smiley Sad

Then 4 months later, I discovered myFICO.  4 months too late!  Sheesh!

(Well, about 7 years too late, IMO!!)

NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa $25k, USAA MC $3.5k, USAA Amex $3.5k
Message 9 of 27
score_building
Senior Contributor

disputed sl loan lates on ex since i had proof of deferment request prior to being late.  in response the were added to eq. and tu.
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.