Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when asking for GW, and they say "that's illegal"

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

when asking for GW, and they say "that's illegal"

Hi, everyone--I am preparing my GW letters for my pathetic collection of late payments. I am not going to do calls, because I'm such a weenie that I would probably wind up suggesting that they add a couple more 30-days on. Before I found this forum, I was talking with Sears/ Citi about this ridiculous mess that blessed me with a 30-day this past March (aargh), and I asked if there was any way that it could be removed. In a shocked tone of voice, the CR said that it was illegal to change information in a CR, unless it was incorrect.

I now know that whether illegal or not, it's done all the time. If I get this again, in response to a GW letter, for instance, what do I answer? I really can't say, "Well, um, I was talking on line, um, with all these people, um, and they said it happened to them..." Has anyone got a more intelligent or snappy-but-polite comeback that will show that I didn't just fall off the potato truck, and that I'd like to speak to someone who will actually consider my request?

thanks for any suggestions!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: when asking for GW, and they say "that's illegal"

haulingthescoreup wrote:
Hi, everyone--I am preparing my GW letters for my pathetic collection of late payments. I am not going to do calls, because I'm such a weenie that I would probably wind up suggesting that they add a couple more 30-days on. Before I found this forum, I was talking with Sears/ Citi about this ridiculous mess that blessed me with a 30-day this past March (aargh), and I asked if there was any way that it could be removed. In a shocked tone of voice, the CR said that it was illegal to change information in a CR, unless it was incorrect.

I now know that whether illegal or not, it's done all the time. If I get this again, in response to a GW letter, for instance, what do I answer? I really can't say, "Well, um, I was talking on line, um, with all these people, um, and they said it happened to them..." Has anyone got a more intelligent or snappy-but-polite comeback that will show that I didn't just fall off the potato truck, and that I'd like to speak to someone who will actually consider my request?

thanks for any suggestions!

I am like you so I mail all GW letters. Some companies will change or delete without even notifing you.

It is illegal for a furnisher to report innaccurate info. It is NOT illegal to change or delete info.

Message Edited by HappyDays on 09-18-2007 05:13 PM
Message 2 of 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
It is illegal for a furnisher to report innaccurate info. It is NOT illegal to change or delete info.

Message Edited by HappyDays on 09-18-2007 05:13 PM

I love it! perfect, thanks.

If anyone has any more, I'm starting a collection.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 4
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Total BS. Sad how uneducated people are.

Don't you ever go visit friends in jail who asked for a late pay deletion? No wonder we have so much prision overcrowding. Smiley Tongue
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.