Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when can I file a dispute again?

tag
fishone4
New Contributor

when can I file a dispute again?

I filed a dispute with TU a few days ago and had a collection removed due to being paid off. My dispute results came back today.  I'm trying to take care of a few baddies on my credit. I have another collection on my report for a medical bill. I wasn't sure if I had paid it or not so I called the DR's office and asked if I had a balance with them, they told me no so I asked if I had had a balance with them at one time and if it had gone to collections. They told I did but I had paid when I went in for an appointment in Feb. 2010. How long do I have to wait before I can dispute this on my TU credit report. ?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: when can I file a dispute again?

@fishone4 wrote:
How long do I have to wait before I can dispute this on my TU credit report. ?

Is the collection that is being reported showing an outstanding balance? 

Message 2 of 7
fishone4
New Contributor

yes it is showing that I owe $75.00 . When I talked to the Dr's office they told me the balance was $50.60 and that I had paid it  in Feb 2010. 

Message 3 of 7
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

You could dispute the collection accounts having an improper balance. You will not be able to dispute the collection account itself as false because it was assigned to collections by the Dr.'s office. Most likely it will come back as verified if you simply say it's not my account.

Your best solution would be to see if the Dr.'s office would recall the account from the collection agency since you paid them directly. They may have some ability to convince the collection agency to delete the reporting to your credit report. In any event you could get the collection balance to report 0. Understand that a paid collection is still counted as a negative for FICO scoring purposes, so an attempt to delete the account through the Dr.'s office is best. Good Luck.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 7
fishone4
New Contributor

Thanks I will call the Dr's office and see if they will try to get the CA to work with me on this. Maybe I can get a delete.

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would file a direct dispute with the debt collector, with the asserted inaccuracy being the reporting of a balance still under collection on a debt that has been satisfied.

The dispute should also extend to the incorrect reporting of the collection as still being open after the debt was satisfied.

You can make a call to the OC,and ask them informally to insist that their client update their records to correctly reflect the status of the debt.

However, that relies upon your sitting and waiting.  By filing a direct dispute, you compel investigation of the inaccuracy and reporting of the results back to you within a set period of approx 30 days.  It sets your own time period, not theirs.  I would prefer to compel action, not wait on inaction.

I would file a direct dispute with the debt collector as opposed to filing thru the CRAs.  That ensures that your supporting documentation, and in particular your evidence that the OC has stated that the debt is satisfied, is received by the debt collector.

Message 6 of 7
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

I'm glad for the OP that RobertEG chimed in. I keep forgetting about the direct dispute process being available now.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.