cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when does a account become inactive/unused?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

when does a account become inactive/unused?

I'm learning to play the credit game quite well,I have a cap 1 card I'm paying off , I won't have much use for it, once I pay it down I shouldn't have a problem getting a rate better than 8.9% I have on the card. my high balance is 97% of CL and is my oldest open CC. So I was wondering how it takes for account to be reported inactive/unused so I can just charge something every so often to keep it active.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: when does a account become inactive/unused?

rbbyrbsn wrote:
I'm learning to play the credit game quite well,I have a cap 1 card I'm paying off , I won't have much use for it, once I pay it down I shouldn't have a problem getting a rate better than 8.9% I have on the card. my high balance is 97% of CL and is my oldest open CC. So I was wondering how it takes for account to be reported inactive/unused so I can just charge something every so often to keep it active.

This is a real unknown. Some CCCs might close an account with no activity after 4 months, some 6, others 9 or 12, and some just do not care and will keep your account open indefinitely. 
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had an account with Cap1 for 7 years. They stop charging yearly charge several years ago but still show it as open. It is open on my CR also. I called & asked for a card 2 times in 6 mo. the last time was 2 weeks ago. If I do not get a card by next week, I will write a letter telling them to issue a new card or close my account. I have a $0 balance.
Message 3 of 6
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Use each of your credit cards once evry six months. I did ask my bank that question last eyar. they told em for them it's 2 years but visa will report the account being inactive around 1 year. I think using credit cards once evry six motnhs will beat the credit game. For department store and gas station cards I do not know. That would eb great if soemoen had the answer on those

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have a PCRichard card have not used since 2003 and still reports current, pays as agreed
and account still open, does not state inactive anywere

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Every lender is different.  Use the card every 3-6 months and you should be safe.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.