Established Contributor

when does a account become inactive/unused?

I'm learning to play the credit game quite well,I have a cap 1 card I'm paying off , I won't have much use for it, once I pay it down I shouldn't have a problem getting a rate better than 8.9% I have on the card. my high balance is 97% of CL and is my oldest open CC. So I was wondering how it takes for account to be reported inactive/unused so I can just charge something every so often to keep it active.
People say "Only apply for credit you NEED"

I say "apply for credit you have PRATICAL use of"

I don't have AMEX card because I don't want a card that suffers from PMS
Moderator Emeritus
fused

Re: when does a account become inactive/unused?

rbbyrbsn wrote:
I'm learning to play the credit game quite well,I have a cap 1 card I'm paying off , I won't have much use for it, once I pay it down I shouldn't have a problem getting a rate better than 8.9% I have on the card. my high balance is 97% of CL and is my oldest open CC. So I was wondering how it takes for account to be reported inactive/unused so I can just charge something every so often to keep it active.

This is a real unknown. Some CCCs might close an account with no activity after 4 months, some 6, others 9 or 12, and some just do not care and will keep your account open indefinitely. 
Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (11-08-2014): EQ 818, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26+ years ~ AAoA: 12 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1

Moderator Emeritus
HappyDays

I have had an account with Cap1 for 7 years. They stop charging yearly charge several years ago but still show it as open. It is open on my CR also. I called & asked for a card 2 times in 6 mo. the last time was 2 weeks ago. If I do not get a card by next week, I will write a letter telling them to issue a new card or close my account. I have a $0 balance.
Frequent Contributor
CreditBob

Use each of your credit cards once evry six months. I did ask my bank that question last eyar. they told em for them it's 2 years but visa will report the account being inactive around 1 year. I think using credit cards once evry six motnhs will beat the credit game. For department store and gas station cards I do not know. That would eb great if soemoen had the answer on those

Regular Contributor
ohboy

Have a PCRichard card have not used since 2003 and still reports current, pays as agreed
and account still open, does not state inactive anywere

Established Contributor
trinigal

Every lender is different.  Use the card every 3-6 months and you should be safe.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}