cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when paying off high card balance. any tricks?

tag
missmama
Contributor

when paying off high card balance. any tricks?

We are getting ready to pay my bfs credit card. He had had the card 30 years and wants to keep it. He's thinking he won't get a high credit limit who has now of 25,000 is he goes to a new card. But we can't deal with that later. The rewards are horrible. 

My question is how do we pay it off? Should we just make the payment and that's that? What do we call to try to make a deal ? We don't want to make a settlement and hurt his credit. I just didn't know if we should know of anything when we do this. Ty

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: when paying off high card balance. any tricks?

@missmama wrote:

We are getting ready to pay my bfs credit card. He had had the card 30 years and wants to keep it. He's thinking he won't get a high credit limit who has now of 25,000 is he goes to a new card. But we can't deal with that later. The rewards are horrible. 

My question is how do we pay it off? Should we just make the payment and that's that? What do we call to try to make a deal ? We don't want to make a settlement and hurt his credit. I just didn't know if we should know of anything when we do this. Ty

Is the account in good standing now, or deliquent?   If you don't pay the full amount it will be reported as a settlement, which will hurt your FICO score.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
missmama
Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@missmama wrote:

Is the account in good standing now, or deliquent?   If you don't pay the full amount it will be reported as a settlement, which will hurt your FICO score.

It is in good standing. He has never been late in 30 years. It was just at it's limit and he was losing sleep! We paid it off tonight Smiley Happy I can't wait to print all those balance 0.00 due 0.00 .... SHOW ME THE 0'S!!! 

We wouldn't want a settlement, no way worth the credit hit and other things it would cause. Thanks for the answers, just wanted to check. Next up is get him a card with rewards... since he will be PIF for now on!! That was horrible getting it so high and we never want to do that again. Of course it was mostly my causing Smiley Sad   lesson learned!!

Message 3 of 5
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

@missmama wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

@missmama wrote:

It is in good standing. He has never been late in 30 years. It was just at it's limit and he was losing sleep! We paid it off tonight Smiley Happy I can't wait to print all those balance 0.00 due 0.00 .... SHOW ME THE 0'S!!! 

We wouldn't want a settlement, no way worth the credit hit and other things it would cause. Thanks for the answers, just wanted to check. Next up is get him a card with rewards... since he will be PIF for now on!! That was horrible getting it so high and we never want to do that again. Of course it was mostly my causing Smiley Sad   lesson learned!!

Great feeling!!!  Just make sure you check the account because there could be a new balance from previous balance finance charge tacked on.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 4 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Congrats on paying it off !!! That's got to be a great feeling  Cat Very Happy

And as mentioned above be sure to look at next month's statement to pay off any residual interest.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.