Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will paying collection improve fico

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

will paying collection improve fico

I have a $500 dentist collection on my credit report. I have sent twice a letter to the collection agency for settlement for $300.00, and the offer is also based on them deleting the questionable collection.  They write back and say they will accept settlement amount for $300, but will not even mention deleting the collection on my reports.    I was wondering will my fico score go up if I paid this settlement even if they don't delete.  If it dose not I am not interested paying it, because I really don't feel I should pay for work that another dentist had to fix for $1000.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: will paying collection improve fico

Sorry glassblower, the answer is no. Paid or unpaid it makes no difference to them. I know that's not what you wanted to here but that's just the way it is.

Have you considered negotiating in full for PFD? IMO, they might be more receptive to deleting it if you pay in full, as opposed to making a settlement offer.

But that's only my opinion. Others will chime in with theirs, I'm sure
Message 2 of 3
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: will paying collection improve fico

If it goes up from being paid, it unfortunately won't by much.  Sometimes it can even go down.

Try to settle with OC (who may drop the issue as a compromise for you not suing in small claims court), or at least give a shot at DVing the CA before you offer a PFD to whoever owns it.  
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.