specultr
Regular Contributor

x

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: Notice of intent to sue

I would DV anyway... they don't know and can't prove when you got your mail unless you signed for something.

For a few reasons, reconsider your choice in your attorney if you did not find him/her here.  At the very least, get a 2nd consult ASAP.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes- DV CMRRR

@SmartCookie wrote:
I would DV anyway... they don't know and can't prove when you got your mail unless you signed for something.
For a few reasons, reconsider your choice in your attorney if you did not find him/her here. At the very least, get a 2nd consult ASAP.

Message 3 of 10
Boswd
Valued Contributor

yes DV and you have done the right first step by getting an attorney.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

DV - the documents they must produce for a DV are also the ones that they would have to produce incourt if you challenge.  Also, if they have filed you attorney can ask for 'discovery' - which should produce the same docs.  Bet ya that as soon as they hear from someone they stop pursuing because they can easily get a default judgement with no paperwork but can't get one if you are challenging.  Typical sleezeball debt collecting attorney tactic.

Since they have threatened to sue on a debt that is past probably SOL (and as attorneys they KNOW this) - perhaps a countersuit (or your own suit) for harrassment, defamation, etc....
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

DO NOT DEAL WITH THESE CROOKS!  Good thing you have a lawyer.  Fill him in and give him some of the cases established against them.

Do a google and look at how many times they have been sued.  They are somehow related to another group called Weltman Weinberg and Reis.  WWR is a junk debt buyer and not a law firm as they allege in letters.  Some of the cases I read about on line listed both Wolfson and Weltman as co-defendents.

Look at the intent to sue.  Did they actually file paperwork?  Is there a court signature?  Whatever you do don't sign for anything and really look at the stories on the net about the illegal activity from these firms.  They tried to use a document easily downloable on line from the Special Civil Court to scare me into providing personal information.  I went to the court clerk with a letter from the originating creditor to counter-sue on my own and lo and behold there was no law suit and they never filed the paperwork. 

I was quoted $5,000 to get a lawyer to take my case and I just don't have it yet.  Just beware, and don't deal with them.

Maybe your lawyer can send them a letter to cease and desist.

Message 6 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Be careful with these guys. Long before this forum, I paid them via a settlement of about 80%. They even sent an acknowledgement letter of the payment for the settlement. They turned around and sold the other 20% to another CA. Smiley Mad
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

it is also against the law to say that you intend to sue & you don't!!!  in their case they know that they can't, so that puts them in violation already!!   file a complaint  www.ftc.gov    also with your state AG and in the state that they are in!!!!!!!
Message 8 of 10
specultr
Regular Contributor

x

Message 9 of 10
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

As Scarlet mentioned... definitely counter sue to recoup any damages and fees... and probable violations.  That's why it's so important that your lawyer be very familiar with this stuff... hence the naca.net link.

Glad you got the DV ready to go.  Smiley Happy
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.