Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

young with fair credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

young with fair credit

Hi forum I'm 24 and new to myfico -- My experian score is lower than I'd like (in the mid 600s). I suppose everyone would like a better credit score, but I wonder if my low credit score is because of my age. I noticed some open collections on the report and quickly paid the collection agencies... I wonder what else I could do. - Does anyone have information regarding average credit scores by age? I'd like to know if I should just be patient or whether I'm lower than those in my age group. - How would you suggest I accelerate my credit-building? I've paid off any known collections. Thanks for any help you can provide!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: young with fair credit

As Tusc would say:

Read Credit Scoring 101 - START HERE!  

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Midnight Voice, I couldn't find any information about average score in age groups/demographics, but there were some good tips for increasing one's credit score. Quick question -- would a CLI denial show up on the credit score? I'd like to increase my credit line if it would help my score, but if it gets denied, will I be penalized? Thanks again
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

No CLI denial will not show on your reports...

Rob

Message Edited by FICO_Focused on 07-02-2007 05:08 PM
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

the CLI decline will not show up on your CR, however, you may get hit with a hard Inquiry. This can have some effect on your score. Although not much for just one, but still.....
Message 5 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

EZ wrote:
Thanks Midnight Voice, I couldn't find any information about average score in age groups/demographics, but there were some good tips for increasing one's credit score. Quick question -- would a CLI denial show up on the credit score? I'd like to increase my credit line if it would help my score, but if it gets denied, will I be penalized? Thanks again

I agree with Midnight, read the credit scoring 101 thread and return here with your questions.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

yup, that 101 is good stuff. I also picked up some good tips here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=generalcredit&thread.id=5662 Thanks everyone.

Message Edited by EZ on 07-02-2007 10:52 PM
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.