cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$0 Closing cost mortgage?

tag

$0 Closing cost mortgage?

I'm looking to purchase a new home in the $180-$200k range. My FICO score is a 742 based on 2 lender pulls this week and my DTI is good (both lenders said I could go up to $250k and be ok). My issue right now is coming up with money up front. I have about $6,000. That's it. Is it possible to find a mortgage that can make it work? Or is it realistically not enough money to close on a home?
CAPITAL ONE WORLD MC $6,500 / DISCOVER IT $1,500 / CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED MC $1,900 / CHASE SLATE $3,000 / CHASE MARRIOTT SIGNATURE VISA $5,000

Current Scores:

Equifax = 729
Experian = 726
TransUnion = 741
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: $0 Closing cost mortgage?

@Thiefofthieves wrote:
I'm looking to purchase a new home in the $180-$200k range. My FICO score is a 742 based on 2 lender pulls this week and my DTI is good (both lenders said I could go up to $250k and be ok). My issue right now is coming up with money up front. I have about $6,000. That's it. Is it possible to find a mortgage that can make it work? Or is it realistically not enough money to close on a home?

I know Cashcall Mortgage was pioneering no closing cost mortgages even a few years back and still offering them today; would expect they and likely other lenders can probably do what you're looking for at least on the closing cost side though I have no idea on their downpayment requirements.

Heh actually if I had your FICO score I might look into them myself glancing at their site.

        
Message 2 of 15

CashCall mortgage says the minimum loan amount is $300,000. :-(
CAPITAL ONE WORLD MC $6,500 / DISCOVER IT $1,500 / CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED MC $1,900 / CHASE SLATE $3,000 / CHASE MARRIOTT SIGNATURE VISA $5,000

Current Scores:

Equifax = 729
Experian = 726
TransUnion = 741
Message 3 of 15
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Work your closing costs into the purchase contract. If you are going for a conventional loan, the maximum amount that is allowed is 3% of the purchase price which should cover the majority of your costs. With a 5% down payment, you have enough to purchase, but just barely.

The other option is to have the lender bump up the rate a bit and have the lender pay your costs.

You can also go FHA with a minimum down payment of 3.5% and a maximum contribution allowed of 6% of your purchase contract.

Most lenders can bump the rate and pay your costs, just ask.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Work your closing costs into the purchase contract. If you are going for a conventional loan, the maximum amount that is allowed is 3% of the purchase price which should cover the majority of your costs. With a 5% down payment, you have enough to purchase, but just barely.

The other option is to have the lender bump up the rate a bit and have the lender pay your costs.

You can also go FHA with a minimum down payment of 3.5% and a maximum contribution allowed of 6% of your purchase contract.

Most lenders can bump the rate and pay your costs, just ask.

I had absolutly no idea this was even an option. This brings a smile to my face.

Message 5 of 15
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Yes, it's done all the time! Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 15
wagsk1
Regular Contributor

I am doing this also. I have the seller kicking in 8k towards closing and the lender giving me a 2k credit. House needs some updating from the 70`s so I need the cash to do a few things. This is a VA loan.

Message 7 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Yes, it's done all the time! Smiley Tongue

Oi thanks S10!  Went looking at various lenders for my own mortgage ideas and virtually all of them had some verbiage regarding "rolling closing costs into the loan."

        
Message 8 of 15
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Any loan officer worth his "salt' would have advised their application of the various options to pay for closing costs. That is mortgage 101. A borrower should not have to educate their loan officer.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are there any known restrictions on an FHA loan in doing this?

Are these "closing costs" to include or exclude the prepaids that are also do at closing?
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.