cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 1/2 months in UW still NO Commitment Letter???

tag
m29
Regular Contributor

1 1/2 months in UW still NO Commitment Letter???

Hi all, I really need some advice!! LO originally pulled our credit 3/5.  Whole file went to UW 3/26.  We still have not received a Commitment letter! Appraisal was done and the Bank received the report 4/15 and they sent me a copy and a new GFE and a bunch of other things (rate lock, Truth in lending, blah blah!) My lawyer is working on the Title papers now!

Seller and lawyer are getting very anxious and pessimistic about the whole thing taking sooo long! LO assures me everything is fine and the banks are just really busy!  I still have not received any conditions from the bank either! So after hounding my LO he finally told me last week that we had to do some painting and scraping of peeling paint! (FHA). We did that last week and appraiser is coming back out today to recheck!

The lawyer will not order a survey until they have a copy of a commitment and I can not order my Homeowners insurance until I get the commitment!! I am getting so frustrated, rate lock expires 5/25 and our purchase contract has a closing date of 5/20!

Should I try to go through a different Bank? How does that work? Would everything just get transferred over? Any HELP would be greatly apreciated!! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 8/30/11 EQ 520 TU98 593
Current Score: LO Pull 3/5/12 EQ 659 TU04 652 EX 649
LO Pull 5/26/12 EQ 656 TU04 668 EX 651
Goal Score: 700 by 12/30/12

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 1 1/2 months in UW still NO Commitment Letter???

When I went under contract to buy my home we initially went with Chase as a lender. We had a closing date of July 1st but I had all my docs in by the beginning of June. I would call and email both the processor and LO every few days to see what the status was and finally the processor told me that since we had a July 1st closing date they were in no rush to work on our file. While I totally understand that there are people closing sooner that need their attention I felt like this was the reason why everything was done last minute and why we had to eventually ask for an extension.

I would continue to contact them until you get a definite answer. You don't want to be stuck scrambling at the last minute.

Message 2 of 5
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@m29 wrote:

Hi all, I really need some advice!! LO originally pulled our credit 3/5.  Whole file went to UW 3/26.  We still have not received a Commitment letter! Appraisal was done and the Bank received the report 4/15 and they sent me a copy and a new GFE and a bunch of other things (rate lock, Truth in lending, blah blah!) My lawyer is working on the Title papers now!

Seller and lawyer are getting very anxious and pessimistic about the whole thing taking sooo long! LO assures me everything is fine and the banks are just really busy!  I still have not received any conditions from the bank either! So after hounding my LO he finally told me last week that we had to do some painting and scraping of peeling paint! (FHA). We did that last week and appraiser is coming back out today to recheck!

The lawyer will not order a survey until they have a copy of a commitment and I can not order my Homeowners insurance until I get the commitment!! I am getting so frustrated, rate lock expires 5/25 and our purchase contract has a closing date of 5/20!

Should I try to go through a different Bank? How does that work? Would everything just get transferred over? Any HELP would be greatly apreciated!! Smiley Happy

Every situation is different.. My lender, for example, wouldn't even send the loan to underwriting until the title report and appaisal were already done. My credit was pulled on Feb 27th and the scores are listed below. I am going FHA. I made an offer March 26th, The house was listed for 185,000, we eventually settled on 182,000 w/ seller covering closing. This took a little time.

My loan officer made me do all of the conditional style things prior to the application, to ensure everythign was good to go.

I submitted: 3 years of tax returns, the ordered the transcripts, 3 years of W2s, the bank statements, and LOE for basically everything we could think of. Took a week or so to get all of these things in order.

After all the appraisal, inspection, title report and feet dragging by the sellers attorney, My loan went to pre-underwriting on April 26th, and has been in the underwriting queue for my lender since May 4th -- My underwriting queue is 11 days, and my conditional approval is due on May 17th-18th. So far, my LO and I have been in constant contact virtually every business day, and we have been right on the money timeline wise.

I am slated to close between May 25th and May 31st, and my contract close is May 31st. 

Although your timeframe frustrates you, it doesn't really feel that far out of the normal scope. My seller was dragging feet because they didn't wanna move before school ended, although they lied to us and said they were going to be able to do a quick close. When the contract was signed, I had my parts done (including appraisal) by April 10th.. Our lender was pushing to have us closed by May 4th, but the seller took their sweet time getting title report ordered and sent over, ect ect

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 3 of 5
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

Thanks for sharing with all of us beginning the process.  I now know more things to look for and hope not to get too frazzled if any of this dragging out and dropping the ball occurs.Smiley Surprised

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Message 4 of 5
m29
Regular Contributor

Thank you all for sharing your experiences!! I guess I jumped the gun a little bit!! WeFINALLY received the Commitment letter in the mail today with a few conditions that will be easy to meet!!  Even before I got the letter in the mail the surveyor was here and the appraiser came back out.  Hopefully things will run smoothly now until closing!!

Starting Score: 8/30/11 EQ 520 TU98 593
Current Score: LO Pull 3/5/12 EQ 659 TU04 652 EX 649
LO Pull 5/26/12 EQ 656 TU04 668 EX 651
Goal Score: 700 by 12/30/12

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.