Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 month in new home :)

tag
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

1 month in new home :)

Here I am 1 month into my new home, and I haven't really visited much since closing. Seems I've been way too busy to be on the net! For everyone who wonders "how much will I need to close", the money doesn't stop there by any means LOL. I've spent close to 20k since moving in between appliances, furniture, finishing 800 sq/ft in the basement (saved a ton there and did all the work myself) as well as upped the square footage to 2100sq/ft, yard tools, and my latest purchase a John Deere X350 lawn tractor today that ran me a little over 3k. My savings account is definitely dwindling down and I still need to put up a privacy fence and do a ton of landscaping as the home I bought was a foreclosure and sat empty for close to a year with no yard work. It is a very nice home though and was built in 2011, luckily we have had no issues with the home itself aside from having to replace shower heads and a few other small things. Home ownership is a blast so far, and I owe it very much to the community. Not only the mortgage loan section, but also to the rebuilding section where I started my journey in 2013. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, and good luck on all of your journeys Smiley Happy
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 1 month in new home :)

Congratulations! My husband and I were talking about this the other day and estimated we would probably need close to 20k in spending money after closing. I started my rebuilding journey the middle of last year and hope to be a homeowner by the middle of next year Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 8
ashjt2011
Regular Contributor

I will second what you said! I have spent a ton since closing - about 7-8k between personalizing, furniture, little mistakes on my part, movers, etc etc. but it's all so worth it. I come home and am so proud of my house and the work I put not only into buying it, but making it mine!

I'm just about at the 1.5 month mark as well, so here's to many adventures for us to come!
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats again! It's been 6 weeks for me but only two weeks in the house since I wanted most of the work done before I moved in. Needless to say the contractors are still here, working away. Looks like my tab is $40k right now - all new floors, shutters, bathroom renovation, light fixtures, all new faucets, laundry room table and storage plus the odds and ends (cleaning supplies have added up).

Then my dad broke my sliding door trying to help. He removed the doggie door panel and now it won't close all the way - another $100 bucks to see if it's even fixable. If not, I'm ripping it out and putting in French doors :-)

It's still a work in progress and I figure I'm going to be house poor for the next 5 years. But yeah, it's totally worth it to get all this done up front and have longer to enjoy it. My dream list is the kitchen, master bath and a pool. Gotta have goals and dream but no more financing, it'll be cash or it won't get done.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 20K OMGGGGGGGGG LOL

@cartwrna wrote:
Here I am 1 month into my new home, and I haven't really visited much since closing. Seems I've been way too busy to be on the net! For everyone who wonders "how much will I need to close", the money doesn't stop there by any means LOL. I've spent close to 20k since moving in between appliances, furniture, finishing 800 sq/ft in the basement (saved a ton there and did all the work myself) as well as upped the square footage to 2100sq/ft, yard tools, and my latest purchase a John Deere X350 lawn tractor today that ran me a little over 3k. My savings account is definitely dwindling down and I still need to put up a privacy fence and do a ton of landscaping as the home I bought was a foreclosure and sat empty for close to a year with no yard work. It is a very nice home though and was built in 2011, luckily we have had no issues with the home itself aside from having to replace shower heads and a few other small things. Home ownership is a blast so far, and I owe it very much to the community. Not only the mortgage loan section, but also to the rebuilding section where I started my journey in 2013. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, and good luck on all of your journeys Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you have to fence?
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cartwrna wrote:

I feel ya! It is a blast but it is very expensive and the costs don't stop at closing. We have already had to replace a window and a hot water heater and we have only been in our place for a little over a month! LOL Not to mention all of the furniture, appliances, paint, decorative items, etc. 

We also just got our first PG&E bill for the new place... Ummm ouch. Going from a 1,000 Sq/ft apartment to a 2,500 Sq/ft home certainly makes for a large increse in utility bills.

Word of advice for everyone out there currently going through, or thinking about going through the homebuying process: Budget for TWICE as much as you think you're going to need/spend. 

Message 7 of 8
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

I don't have to fence, but the wife wants me to have a privacy fence put up in the back yard. We have not completed this yet. I will do the work myself to save on costs but will need a nice warm weekend to get it done.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.