Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 yrs at job, but leaving job soon

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 10 yrs at job, but leaving job soon

I'm a veterinary receptionist with an A.S. in veterinary technology. I have 10 years in the same hospital, which is pretty much unheard of in this field. I will have my pick of jobs, given my experience and education. The problem is that people hiring now want someone now, not the end of July.
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a veterinary receptionist and just got my degree in Veterinary Technology. With over 10 years experience I will have my pick of jobs. And there are pretty much always openings. The problem is that most places are hiring for right now, not 2 months from now.
Message 12 of 20
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
... I can't be working up there without somewhere to live. How do people relocating usually handle this?

Well, in my world (Pharmaceutical R&D) usually one lines up the new job before moving and at my level it's standard for the new employer to offer a relocation assistance package. Without such assistance, the most common solution is to rent for a year or two before buying in the new town, which not only avoids difficulties over the mortgage (and in a slow market avoids being stuck carrying two mortgages while trying to sell the old house) but also can reduce your stress level because you have time to get familiar with a new job and a new community before house hunting. There used to be a tax clock ticking because to avoid capital gains taxes one had to put the money gained from selling the old house into a new house but nowadays the tax laws have pretty generous exclusions of capital gains taxes on the sale of a primary residence (but I ain't a lawyer so be sure to check with a tax expert!).
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 13 of 20
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

try one of the banks. your deal doesnt fit fannie mae guidelines.
nor fha
Retired Lender
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, well then.....without any income for me other than my child support, our DTI is 43percent.  But he has 20,000 in the bank and another 30,000 in investments. Would that work?  Or should we see about getting his student loan (400 dollars a month) put into defferment to get the DTI lower and try without  my income?  His FICO is about 700, mine is 630.

Katie
Message 15 of 20
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

get the student loan deferred for 12+ months and apply.
how did you calculate that dti?
housing included?

Retired Lender
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used a calculator online. He has about 40,000 income a year, plus my 6,000 in child support. Only debt is 235 a month car payment and student loan payment of 400 a month. Credit card balances are close to zero for both of us.

How hard is it to get a student loan deffered based on financial harship?  Anyone know? 
Message 17 of 20
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

with those assets, you will have a decent shot at applying jointly and getting an approval.
your child support can be grossed up since it isn't taxable income.
with the assets, you will have a good shot
Retired Lender
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank God! That is good to hear. I'm figuring, if we can't get approved, then I will have to move up there without my son for a month or so, and then reapply. But that is a bad option for a number of reasons, including that my current job doesn't expect me to leave that soon and I'd be hurting them. And it would mean moving into my fiance's apartment with his roomate, a bit awkward but doable. And I hate the idea of my son spending that much time with his father, his dad is, well....not the greatest at childcare. So if we can get approved without my income, given the assets and my child support, that would be great.
Message 19 of 20
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Let us know how it goes.
Retired Lender
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.