cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099 or W2?

tag
Runner1969

1099 or W2?

I am currently working as a 1099 employee and have an opportunity to go W2. I know those that are self employed typically need to show 2 years of 1099 income, but I was wondering if I can stay 1099 and buy my first home this fall. I would be looking for a condo around 200k. I have around 20,000 in student loans; 10,000 in auto loans

My income history:
2010 (Company A- W2): 38,000
2011 (Company A- W2 half year, Company B half year): 41,000
2012 (Company B- W2 for 3/4 year, Company C- 1099): 65,000
Estimated 2013 (Company C- 1099): >100,000
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Re: 1099 or W2?

I'm not certain that you need to show two years of 1099, I believe it's just two years of taxes. The fact that you've changed jobs so often in the past 3 years could be a problem unless it's all in the same field, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 1099 or W2?

I guess YMMV, but I can tell you without a doubt that lenders in my area of Virginia will not make an exception.  They have to see two full years of 1099 income via tax returns in order to count 1099 income at all.  They will take an average of the two years.  They will not even accept a partial year with filed schedule C's or anything like that.  That said, if I were you I'd keep the W-2 income until the loan process is over with.  If that can cover your requirements for the loan, you should be fine.

It would probably be worth checking with a loan officer just to be sure, but our experience led me to believe that there is little to no latitude in this area.  Lenders are extremely nervous about self employed borrowers, so they are incredibly stringent.  So long as you have all the proper paperwork and can meet those requirements it won't be a problem, but I would not expect them to make any kind of an exception.

I don't want to discourage you, as your numbers sound very good considering the amount of loan you are looking for.  However, if you have the option I highly recommend you go W-2 until the process is finished.  This issue was a big part of my mortgage stress, and I've been self employed for almost ten years now.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.