Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18 yrs. old - auto loan possible?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

18 yrs. old - auto loan possible?

Hi all - my sister just graduated in June 07 and is looking to get a loan for a car.  She only has one credit card which she got in November, other than that nothing else.  Ideally she should wait some to let her score rise with timely payments and good util, but she needs a car asap to get to work (she works 2 part time jobs). 

How lenient are dealers/banks with giving loans to people with no/little credit?  She would have up to 3k to put down which hopefully will boost her odds on an approval.  Does anyone here have any experience with this?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
CreditJunkie
Valued Member

Re: 18 yrs. old - auto loan possible?

That is a good downpayment, I would recomend pulling her scores. If there are no negatives other than short history I don't think she would have trouble securing some kind of loan with that downpayment and somewhat decent scores.
Message 2 of 9
MandyLee
Established Member

Worst case scenario she'll have to agree to a high interest rate, but she shouldn't have a hard time at all.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely possible, esp if you can get a co-signer. Try First Security Bank--they gave me two different auto loans at pretty good terms when I was just starting out.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll be sure to pass along all the good info. Thanks everyone! Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Graduated what? If she just graduated college, they have programs for people who have just got their degree and you get a very good rate. I guess the manufacturers want to get you in and try to develop some loyalty. good luck
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

RGordon - she just graduated high school. Hasn't started college yet as shes working so she can't bank on all those fold-out tables they have during registration
Message 7 of 9
andyaycw
Frequent Contributor

Don't they also factor in income and employment status in deciding whether or not to give the loan out though?

Starting Score: EQ 773, TU 766
Current Score (2/25/2017): EX 813, EQ 823, TU 818
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I thought, but I know when I was 19 I got a car loan for 20k after being at a new job for 4 months. But then again I had a newborn baby so I was hoping they'd think I was (am!!) responsible since I have responsibilities and the whole bit. That was a few years ago but I'm sure much has changed with lending practices given the economy and mortgage lending failures.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.