cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Days before closing and I'm scared to death

tag
mcalabrese79

2 Days before closing and I'm scared to death

Hello all. So I am 2 days before my closing date (Thursday 3/19) and I am so worried. Lastnight my neighbor stopped in to say hello and I told her I set my appointment for closing. She said "good luck and prayers to you. I know 2 people who were denied 2 days before their closing date. Buying a house is hard". I was sooooo upset lastnight that I lost sleep. I started reading and it appears that there are only a handful of things that can cause you to be denied at the last minute. Those were: big financial purchases or maxing out credit lines, losing or changing jobs or a drop in your credit score due to a new collection.

Is this the case???

I worry because after my mothers death, I went into debt and screwed up my credit while trying to pay her final expenses. In August 2010 I filed for a bankruptcy that I did not go through with but still reported to my credit that I filed. I backed out after learning that the payments would be more per month than if I paid my creditors myself. So thats what I did. From Dec 2010 into 2012, I spent lots of time and money on paying off debts and cleaning up my credit. The only negatives left on my credit at this time that I was unable to take of are:

1. Bankruptcy that was DISMISSED in Dec 2010.

2. I cosigned an apartment for my brother. He broke the lease 6 years ago owing 6k. Will drop off Sept 2017. The lendor took that into my DTI.

3. An apartment I personally broke the lease on when my mom passed. 5 years old. 3k took into DTI.

I am VERY stable in my job (9 years at this company) and even received a promotion since being pre-approved. I have plenty of income. I havent spent ANY money in 3 months (let me tell you how hard thats been!!...) and I even have 6+ months of payments saved JUST IN CASE ITS NEEDED. 

Is there anything that could sneak up on me and cause me to be denied other than what I've read?

Could the current baddies on report kick me out of the game?

If I have an appointment to close, is that pretty much the final go ahead?

P.S. Below are NOT my current credit scores. I cant figure out how to change it, hahaha

Current Scores (4/2015) TU: 628; EX: 628; EQ 634
Beginning Scores (10/2013): TU 529; EX 607; EQ 584
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: 2 Days before closing and I'm scared to death

Was your bankruptcy DISCHARGED or DISMISSED?

DISCHARGED means that you went through the entire process and received a discharge from the bankruptcy court.

DISMISSED means that you did NOT complete the Bk and you still owed the debt.

From your post, you described a dismissal, but you stated it was discharged.  You can check your Bk filing on PACER if you don't remember.

As to your closing date - the lender drives the pace of the loan.  If you have your Clear to Close and a closing date it would seem that everything is in apple pie order. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 7
mcalabrese79

So sorry.. I meant DISMISSED. I misspoke.... Yay! I sure hope! My appointment is on Thursday at 3pm. The title company (Old Republic) accidentally added me into an email between the seller's agent and them. It looks like they were working on getting the documents so that the seller could sign tomorrow afternoon. 

Message 3 of 7
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Your neighbor was just being unintentionally cruel, like the kind of woman who tells horror stories about fatal complications,  three day labor, and grotesque deformities to their pregnant friends.

If your bank has already taken everything that you describe into account and you have a closing date, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Message 4 of 7
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

That said, buying a home IS scary and it's perfectly normal to be terrified! Take a deep breath, have a glass of wine, meditate, take a walk or whatever else helps you to relax, and ingnore the "helpful" neighbor.

Message 5 of 7
mcalabrese79

You are so right about that!!!!!! Thank you so much. You guys are making me feel better for sure. Its been a looooong haaaard road. Praying that I can start this new chapter in my life this weekend. 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best wishes to you all. We are scheduled to close next week and are waiting for our Clear to Close by Friday. Expecting the best!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.