Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 part question

tag
creditisbetter2
Contributor

2 part question

First part is: What happens when a new home fail inspection?  I happened to stop by the home yesterday and noticed a inspection report from builders inspector and there were 28 issues which I am assuming caused it to fail.  My husband and I have not been notified of this, I just happened to see it so is this something they'll fix prior to us closing?  Is it something we should be notified about?

Second Part:  How can I check the status of an appraisal?  Is there a way to check online without having to call lender?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: 2 part question

I'm sure the inspector will need to come out for the home to pass - so hopefully all 28 items will be fixed.

Unless you were given a website to check your appraisals status on, you'll have to call or email.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 4
creditisbetter2
Contributor

Thank you Shane, I heard that the appraisal had been requested and we are waiting for it to come back. I have been back over to view the house and I saw some issues have been worked on and my inspector comes on Friday so he will be able to point out what has been fixed and what hasn't.
Message 3 of 4
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Depending on the type of loan you are obtaining, inspection reports cannot fail per se. The inspector's job is to point out the deficient items in the home for your consideration to accept, or request the seller fix (or help fix). Certain loan types require that certain issues do not exist, so in that sense I guess an inspection could fail. There are always items found at inspection for every home, most of the time the seller refuses to fix and the deal moves forward anyways because the buyer is already emotionally invested in the house and doesn't want to "back out".

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.