Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 same day closings (sell & buy)

tag
sars4619

2 same day closings (sell & buy)

Hi Everyone,

I want to sell my condo and purchase a single family in MA.

I plan to list the condo in Spring.

Which comes first, sell or buy - in order to have a same day closing?
I plan to use the condo equity as the downpayment for the single family - if allowed. Thank you!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

Re: 2 same day closings (sell & buy)

We did that once. It was a nightmare. Our sell kept getting delayed because the appraiser's wife had a baby then something else came up. Delayed us by a couple of weeks. Then our buyers couldn't close until 4pm on the day of closing. We ended up doing our buying closing first, signatures only. They wouldn't give us the keys until we did our selling closing. Then our buyers had a car accident on the way to closing. Thank the lord they weren't hurt, made it to the attorney's office and we closed by 6pm and we're still able to get our keys to start moving in. We emptied the moving truck and returned it by midnight. Most stressful day of my life.

So, based on my experience you need to do your selling closing first, then your buying one. After that day I will NEVER do a double closing again. I'll move into a temp apartment of something just to avoid it. 

Message 2 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@mynameainttracy wrote:

We did that once. It was a nightmare. Our sell kept getting delayed because the appraiser's wife had a baby then something else came up. Delayed us by a couple of weeks. Then our buyers couldn't close until 4pm on the day of closing. We ended up doing our buying closing first, signatures only. They wouldn't give us the keys until we did our selling closing. Then our buyers had a car accident on the way to closing. Thank the lord they weren't hurt, made it to the attorney's office and we closed by 6pm and we're still able to get our keys to start moving in. We emptied the moving truck and returned it by midnight. Most stressful day of my life.

So, based on my experience you need to do your selling closing first, then your buying one. After that day I will NEVER do a double closing again. I'll move into a temp apartment of something just to avoid it. 

^^^^listen to mynameainttracy above. 

Trying to coordinate both closings for the same day is difficult at best especially now with the new TRID rules in effect.

Sell your condo first. Get the $$$, then schedule the purchase.  I usually allow at least a week to 10 days between closings to allow funds to clear if you get a closing check rather than a wire.  Besides the lender for the new purchase is going to want to see the closing HUD1 of the sale (now called something else) before they will close your new purchase.  You might be able to tighten up the distance between closings so it is just a day or three after your sale, but I would not recommend closing the same day - too many moving parts.

Message 3 of 6
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@mynameainttracy wrote:

Completely agree with this!

Two closings on the same day would be terrible for your stress levels and nearly impossible to plan, given all the complications and potential screwups of buying and selling.

Sell first. Then buy. Sometimes sellers can arrange a grace period where they can continue to occupy their home for a few days or a month after closing. Not always, of course. Even if you have to stay in a motel or with friends or in a short term rental after the sale, though, you're better off not even trying to do two closings on the same day.

Message 4 of 6
sars4619

Thanks everyone!  Appreciate your comments!

Yes - would like to avoid any stressfull situations & try to figure out a reasonable timeline for all the moving parts to line up.  I guess the cleanest way is to sell first and stay with friends and store belongings....was hoping to avoid that.  Need to educate myself on TRID regs.

Happy New Year!!

Message 5 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

To educate yourself on TRID, go to the top of the mortgage section and look up the links by Shanethemortgageman under "Helpful Threads" - I will post them here for you now:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/Understanding-the-Loan-Estimate-LE-Part-I-of-II/m-p/4...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/Understanding-the-Closing-Disclosure-CD-Part-II-of-II...

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.