cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

200 point discrepancy in lender score and bureau score???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

200 point discrepancy in lender score and bureau score???

Can anyone enlighten me as to why there would be a 200-point discrepancy in the TransUnion credit score when pulled by a lender and directly from a bureau in the same day? Do different banks/lenders get different scores on the same day if all other variables remain the same? 

9 REPLIES 9
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Re: 200 point discrepancy in lender score and bureau score???

Different FICO scoring models were pulled. One will grade you higher on an aspect of your report than the other model which would explain the discrepancy in the scores.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay. Thanks. I guess I just thought 200 points was an unusually large discrepancy among scoring models.

Message 3 of 10
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I agree with you, 200 points sounds like a huge discrepancy.  I suspect that as the other poster said it is two different scoring models.  I also think that you may have purchased the educational score at the CRA rather than a FICO score.  

To complicate matters, each of the CRA's offers a score for sale that is not a score that the lenders use - ever.  It is referred to as an 'educational score'. That particular score is only used to generate revenue for the CRA. I'm not kidding.  

FICO scores are used by lenders. But there are many different versions of FICO scores too. So you need to find out which score model your lender is using. Fortunately, for mortgages it is easy because the lenders use the older FICO versions. You can read the sticky at the top and to see your mortgage FICO score you only have to pull your 3B report here and look for the scores under mortgages Smiley Happy

Read this thead for details on the various types of FICO scores: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/The-many-flavors-of-FICO-Editions-version...

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's possible that you have a split file at TransUnion

Message 5 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

It's possible that you have a split file at TransUnion

Maybe, but the substantially more likely explanation is that Transunion only sells Vantage 3.0 now, though a 200 point difference is a bit surprising to me but I don't know what's in the OP's file, and I've been off by 100 points before; actually close to a 100 points now between my Beacon 5.0 (EQ mortgage trifecta score) and my EQ Vantage 3 right now, 94 points explicitly.

        
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. All this information is, at once, fascinating and terrifying. So, do I understand that I could go to a bank and apply for a home loan and, in the same day with all other variables remaining the same, go to a mortgage broker and apply for the same amount and have different credit scores with each respective bureau based on the scoring model?

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whoa. I hadn't thought of that. I'll call and see. Thank you. 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

just agreeing that 200 is a huge amount! My educational scores are about 60-75 points lower than my true scores, but not two true FICO scores (though I know there are a variety of those pulled too, just seems they'd be fairly close together). Now my 3 actual scores also are a bit different (which is fairly normal) but they're all within about 15 points of each other.

Good luck, hope you can get that figured out!

Message 9 of 10
iv
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you. All this information is, at once, fascinating and terrifying. So, do I understand that I could go to a bank and apply for a home loan and, in the same day with all other variables remaining the same, go to a mortgage broker and apply for the same amount and have different credit scores with each respective bureau based on the scoring model?

Well, in that particular case, no.

Mortgage lending is 99.99% standardized on a specific set of scores, available here as:

• Equifax FICO Score 5

• Experian FICO Score 2

• TransUnion FICO Score 4

So for a mortgage application, different lenders will end up seeing the same scores.

But when applying for other types of loans, or credit cards? Yes, a wide range of different scores can be pulled from each CRA's data.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.