Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

21 years old and planning to buy a house in the future

tag
athan12
Contributor

21 years old and planning to buy a house in the future

I'm 21 years old and I'm planning  to buy a house in the future probably in 5 years or less. Right now I'm preparing everything for me to get approved for a mortgage loan. What should I do right now to help me with my morgage application in the future.

What I have right now.

EQ 619

TU ??

EX ??

(have to check them though)

Only have 1 credit card right now. How many is advisable?

I plan to lower my utilization to 1-9%

3 lates on my 2012 report. I plan to GW them.

What else do I have to be prepared of?

Starting score as of 12/2012: EQ 570
Current score as of 02/2013: EQ 619

Current scores as of 06/2014:
EQ: 640
TU: 650
EX: 655

GOAL: 700
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
MzKoli
Contributor

Re: 21 years old and planning to buy a house in the future

@least 3 active trade lines to start. Continue(start) to make payments on time. IMO, Biggest thing start saving $$ as much as you comfortably can. There are lots of other factors(DTI, income, employment,etc) to being qualifiable but 5 years is a very long time ...
Message 2 of 8
athan12
Contributor

Does the dollar loan center count as a credit line? I also had a car loan that I kept paying for only 6 months and paid it in full on my 7th month. I had two loans with dollar loan center and both are PIF

Message 3 of 8
athan12
Contributor

What does DTI mean and can you explain it? Sorry for second post.

Message 4 of 8
MzKoli
Contributor

To maximize scores you'd want active lines - either installment or revolving to build a good payment history. You want something that will sustain the 5 years as accts you've already PD off will be old and have very little if any weight by then

To answer your question abt Dollar Loan Center i'm personally unfamilar. Are they reflected on your CRs? Does applying each time cause a HP?
Message 5 of 8
MzKoli
Contributor

DTI = debt to income ratio its the percentage of what you make that goes toward monthly credit obligations
Message 6 of 8
athan12
Contributor

It shows on my CR like how much I owe and it has the "OK" on top of every month whenever I paid it. No HP though

Message 7 of 8
MzKoli
Contributor

There is front end DTI which calculates your total mortgage payment( principal, interest, taxes, insurance, HOAs, etc) it can't exceed a certain percentage dependent on loan type (conventional, FHA, USDA) and back end which is mortgage plus everything else( student loans,cc,car, etc) and that can't exceed a certain percentage again depending on loan type.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.